Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Fish Keeping Fails (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/fish-keeping-fails-137826/)

Pearl2011 03-26-2013 09:58 PM

Fish Keeping Fails

Anyone want to tell their fish keeping Fail, or funny mishaps?? I have a couple good ones (and really bad ones) and a prank or two i pulled on my friend with fish.

Mine - After cleaning my ten gallon with 5 goldfish in it (which i had kinda sorta really neglected) i gravel cleaned it and left the very full two gallon bucket on the carpet in my room. I left my door open and my cat knocked it over. My room smelled like fish for a week >.< And febreze cant fix that. Or carpet cleaner. Or air freshener. Ew.

Anyone else?? So i don't seem like too big of a failure??

fish keeper 2013 03-28-2013 08:50 PM

This one isn't really funny at all but......

It was one disastorous water change all right. One mistake after another *sigh*. First I cleaned the aquarium walls with a sponge that I later found out was not aquarium safe :oops: (I hope anything bad could have been tooken out by my filter and water changes). Then I realized that i hadn't used water conditioner :cry:

Edit: Hey that was my 50th post!

Pearl2011 03-28-2013 10:30 PM

Oh that sucks!! A couple years ago my freind and tried to clean my betas gravel with soap. Guess we didn't rinse it well anough and the water turned white. That poor fish went through hell and back (a couple times) and I still had him for almost 3 years O.o

MoneyMitch 03-29-2013 01:34 PM

one of my biggest fails was i had did a water change with a fish only setup at the time, turned the heater and fitler off (unplugged them). well weeks down the road i hadnt noticed but i never put the heater back on. wasnt a big issue but was on of those opps moments.

John0216 03-29-2013 07:48 PM

Well, I think this one is the worst. I got a free tank from my sister. She failed to remind me it was a reptile tank and the glue ended up slowly dissolving. And one day, The pressure just knocked all the glass walls off of it and 40 gallons of fish water was everywhere. Thats not the worst part....we have wood floors. That's still not the worst, It was upstairs. Only 3000 dollars in repairs later, we replaced the flooring/ceiling.
Never again will I get something without having proper information on it. Feel free to make fun of me :P

Fishnerd101 03-29-2013 09:48 PM

John, I believe you just won this forum. Somebody give this guy a medal!
I've never done anything like that, but I do have a story. I set aside some water from a water change to water the house plants, and my mom used it to bathe the dogs. Poor dogs...

John0216 03-29-2013 09:59 PM

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishnerd101 (Post 1584289)
John, I believe you just won this forum. Somebody give this guy a medal!
I've never done anything like that, but I do have a story. I set aside some water from a water change to water the house plants, and my mom used it to bathe the dogs. Poor dogs...

So your mom bathes your dogs with random water in buckets? Thats nice. lol

Fishnerd101 03-29-2013 10:10 PM

Oh, yeah. Forgot to explain. She told me to set aside some water to bathe the dogs outside, and I totally spaced and forgot to do it. She still doesn't know! I laughed like none other for the next 3 days afterwards.

John0216 03-29-2013 10:40 PM

Lol

I also bet your mom wondered why you didnt touch the dog and kept your distance for the next week and a half. Huh? xD

Romad 03-30-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John0216 (Post 1583233)
Well, I think this one is the worst. I got a free tank from my sister. She failed to remind me it was a reptile tank and the glue ended up slowly dissolving. And one day, The pressure just knocked all the glass walls off of it and 40 gallons of fish water was everywhere. Thats not the worst part....we have wood floors. That's still not the worst, It was upstairs. Only 3000 dollars in repairs later, we replaced the flooring/ceiling.
Never again will I get something without having proper information on it. Feel free to make fun of me :P

That's just awful :shock: I'd still be having nightmares about that one.