Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Breeding freshwater angel fish URGENT! Eggs laid on 4/11/08 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/breeding-freshwater-angel-fish-urgent-eggs-13754/)

angelsrme 04-11-2008 09:51 PM

Breeding freshwater angel fish URGENT! Eggs laid on 4/11/08

We have 3 large angel fish 2 chocolate and 1 black and whtie marble along with several other fish like gouramis and danios. We never ment to breed the angels they did it on their own and now I need some advice on how to go about taking care of the eggs/baby fish. I have removed all the fish from the 40 gal tank and now they are in a 20 gal (to small I know but that was all I could get) So they laid on a piece of teracotta pot at least 100 eggs if not more. I need to know if I should turn on the light or leave it off etc etc. I WILL NOT spend tons of money on extra tanks and special equipment but I do want to give the babies a chance. By the way the female is the marble and the male is the smaller chocolate. Very interesting. Thank you for any advice you may be able to give me.

herefishy 04-11-2008 10:11 PM

First of all welcome to the forum. Secondly, congratulations. Leave the fish alone. Angels are usually good parents. If this is their first spawn, they may eat the eggs.

You may remove the parents, if you wish, use methylene blue, to prevent fungus, and increase aeration. The fry should be fed microworms, infusoria, or a commercial fry food for egglayers for the first few days. They then can be fed live brine shimp after that.

angelsrme 04-11-2008 10:29 PM

This is their 2nd spawn I already removed them because the momma ate the eggs the last time. It wasn't until after I removed her that i relized she probably ate them b/c there were lots of other fish in there as well that were trying to eat the eggs. They lay every 10-14 days right? Also wil they eat frozen baby brine shrimp and what should I do about the filter I don't want them to get sucked up.

angelsrme 04-11-2008 10:31 PM

oh yeah and what about the light? Should it be on or off. the tank is kinda by a window so its not totally dark.

okiemavis 04-11-2008 10:59 PM

Just light the tank as a normal tank, they should have a regular day/night period. Also, angels are good parents. They will guard the eggs and won't let the other fish near enough to get a bite. Sometimes it takes fish a couple of tries to spawn successfully, but they'll get the hang of it soon enough.

mitcore 04-14-2008 02:31 AM

hi i breed angels,
it is better to leave the eggs with the parents, they will care for the eggs/fry for 10 weeks, i have just sold a batch and they were with the parents for 3 and 1/2 mths with no problems,
they might egg the first few batches they do this because they dont know it is their eggs, it is a good idea to cover the tank, so no one can see in and no one can see out LOL
it helps them relax more and you will have a higher chance of them not eating the eggs,

a good thing to think about is that even id they eat this batch dont worry they will keep spawning mine spawn every 1 and 1/2 weeks to 2 weeks, LOL i have 2 pairs going at the moment

cichlid101 07-16-2008 05:54 AM

Re: Breeding freshwater angel fish URGENT! Eggs laid on 4/11

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsrme
We have 3 large angel fish 2 chocolate and 1 black and whtie marble along with several other fish like gouramis and danios. We never ment to breed the angels they did it on their own and now I need some advice on how to go about taking care of the eggs/baby fish. I have removed all the fish from the 40 gal tank and now they are in a 20 gal (to small I know but that was all I could get) So they laid on a piece of teracotta pot at least 100 eggs if not more. I need to know if I should turn on the light or leave it off etc etc. I WILL NOT spend tons of money on extra tanks and special equipment but I do want to give the babies a chance. By the way the female is the marble and the male is the smaller chocolate. Very interesting. Thank you for any advice you may be able to give me.

cichlid101 07-16-2008 05:54 AM

Re: Breeding freshwater angel fish URGENT! Eggs laid on 4/11

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsrme

Emphasy 07-16-2008 09:33 AM

Molly help! It's Urgent!

Okay, I am buying three Mollies today. A female and male Dalmation, and a female Black. I am also buying a suckerfish of some sort. I am looking to breed. Right now I have a tank with rocks and a filter/pump. If I buy some plastic plants and put them in the corner will the fry be safe? What would happen if I just let a plastic plant float on the surface? Would the fry be safe there? As for feeding, How often do I feed the adults, and how often do I feed the fry? (they'll be in the same tank, so how do I go about that?) and If I rub tropical fish flakes between my fingers until it's fine, will that be okay for the fry? Also, how much do I feed the adults/fry? I'm sorry for all the questions. I just need to know before we go to the store tonight. and I can't but special food for the fry, or a breeding tank, so plants/rocks are going to be the only hiding place right now.

Please help,
Emphasy