Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Adequate catfish sleeping quarters? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/adequate-catfish-sleeping-quarters-137394/)

JDM 03-26-2013 10:04 AM

Adequate catfish sleeping quarters?

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of five of the eight the Emerald Brochis in our tank right before lights out.

There is one in the front corner and two more hiding under the rock that you can sort of see in the upper left of the shot.

I seem to have a problem keeping more than eight and am wondering if more sleeping space is that much of an issue for these guys, similar enough to a cory to be comparable I am sure. I know the minimum numbers noted are 5 or 6, which is why I was aiming for eight originally and decided that ten would be better.

Perhaps the fish feel comfortable in groups not only to remain active during the day but the number is important at night as well? I am looking at adding another overhead driftwood piece and was planning the space where it might go... I am thinking that it should be an extension of this darker rear corner. Maybe even blacking out the bottom couple of inches so they cannot see anything outside of the tank from this area.

Jeff.

Chesh 03-28-2013 11:02 AM

I like the thought process. . . wish I could help, but I've never kept cats before. I just really had to say that this picture is entirely too cute. Great shot!

Hopefully someone can provide you with the information you're searching for :)

RackinRocky 04-04-2013 08:10 PM

I have a friend who puts flower pots on their sides and her Panda cories all go in there to sleep. They even lay on top of each other!

fish monger 04-05-2013 08:07 AM

Most fish that use caves / ledges for cover seem to prefer a rather confined space (big predators won't fit). I've never noticed my cories being especially needy in that regard. A quiet, out-of-way spot seems to be adequate. Your tank provides plenty of such places with all of the vegetation. It is just a matter of habit for me to provide ample hiding places. I like the look a caves and ledges. With your substrate, they could probably hollow out their own little nooks and crannies next to various objects. I think 6-8 would be a good number of specimens for your tank, unless you really want more because you are especially fond of them.

JDM 04-05-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish monger (Post 1652538)
Most fish that use caves / ledges for cover seem to prefer a rather confined space (big predators won't fit). I've never noticed my cories being especially needy in that regard. A quiet, out-of-way spot seems to be adequate. Your tank provides plenty of such places with all of the vegetation. It is just a matter of habit for me to provide ample hiding places. I like the look a caves and ledges. With your substrate, they could probably hollow out their own little nooks and crannies next to various objects. I think 6-8 would be a good number of specimens for your tank, unless you really want more because you are especially fond of them.

I'm going to add a driftwood shelf soon, just need to time to set it up, been on my list for weeks now, as I want to plant it with java ferns first and I am sure that will provide enough additional hiding space... probably some crypts in front as well.

I like the idea of 10 as a minimum for any fish shoal and I have eight cats... I don't NEED more.

I thought that they would use the space under my larger driftwood piece but they don't. I think because it is open to the front. I hesitate to open it only to the back as I could not see into the space and would never know what might buildup in there.

Jeff.