Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   and the algae has started (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/algae-has-started-137057/)

MoneyMitch 03-25-2013 09:03 PM

and the algae has started

knew it was going to haapen soon or a later

anyways x2 55 watt t5Ho over the length of the tank, 55 gallon

dose flourish x1 a week iron x2 a week and potassium x1 a week

50% w/c

photo period about 11-12 hrs

so its the hairy crap growing on the plants dark green in color, hair algae YUCK. so im going to contiune with the weekly water changes and reduce light to eight hours a day and see if this is going to help. if not going to look into a DIY co2 system ive found a method using a powerhead and airstone inside a siphontube as a diffusion method.

but the core of the issue here i belive is the light period what you guys think?

Boredomb 03-25-2013 09:18 PM

I would begin with reducing the photo period as you stated. Do you have any floating plants?? If you don't I would try that next.

I have used that method of DIY Co2 on a 55 and it defuses good but DIY is hard to control.
Posted via Mobile Device

MoneyMitch 03-25-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boredomb (Post 1543969)
I would begin with reducing the photo period as you stated. Do you have any floating plants?? If you don't I would try that next.

I have used that method of DIY Co2 on a 55 and it defuses good but DIY is hard to control.
Posted via Mobile Device

yea i have some floaters, want to avoid using any excel or co2 booster type stuff. i just dont feel comfortable with using it with the fish. the co2 may be a little inconsistent but better then nothing as long as i keep the ferts in check and gas off at night i should be ok im thinking.

MoneyMitch 03-25-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1544073)
yea i have some floaters, want to avoid using any excel or co2 booster type stuff. i just dont feel comfortable with using it with the fish. the co2 may be a little inconsistent but better then nothing as long as i keep the ferts in check and gas off at night i should be ok im thinking.

light has been taken from 13 hours down to 8 also removed both bio wheel parts from the filter to keep in as much co2 as possible. hopefully ill see some changes in a week or so.

BWG 03-25-2013 10:11 PM

Since you decided against CO2 have you considered raising the light so you can keep the fixture, but it's not as strong? 6 or 8 inches doesn't sound like much, but it could make a world of difference.

MoneyMitch 03-25-2013 10:15 PM

Haven't thought of that option yet gunna try the reduced period for now until get get around to making a co2 system but ill keep or in mind if the reduced period doesn't help in the mean time
Posted via Mobile Device

Mikaila31 03-25-2013 10:15 PM

You need a lot better fertilizers with that lighting.

As long as you have some floating plants to diffuse the lighting IMO CO2 is not required. You are pushing it with light levels though. You must do the same with fertilizers or algae is unavoidable.

MoneyMitch 03-25-2013 10:17 PM

Maybe double doses ten you think? I'm getting about quarter to half inch of growth on stem plants now and still getting the algae and that was with above dosings and photo
Posted via Mobile Device

Boredomb 03-25-2013 10:43 PM

In this case Dry fertilizers would be better I would think even with out Co2.
Yeah I definitely would stay away from the liquid Co2 supplements as they are pretty nasty stuff (well atleast Excel is).

Mikaila31 03-25-2013 11:19 PM

agreed you are going to want dry fertilizers. You are missing some important macros with your current dosing which is likely your main issue, both nitrogen and phosphate(and yes those are in flourish but not anywhere near the amounts you likely need). Fertilizing using liquids is likely to cost more then you want to spend, hence why dry fertilizers are recommend. Dry fertilizers and CO2 do not have to be used together. Dry fertilizers simply give you more control at a lower cost then liquids, whether the tank be low tech, high tech, or in-between they still offer an advantage. I also suggest not bothering with anything like excel or even yeast based CO2, both are more trouble then they are worth.

Your growth should be better then that IMO, which again points to fertilizers.

My 55 gallon has almost identical lighting, 2x55 watts but of power compacts with high efficiency reflectors. This tank does for the most part get pressurized CO2, however it is not absolutely necessary. All it really does is additionally increase growth. The tank can run for months without any CO2 and be fine. I have a 40 gallon running similar high light levels, 8x13watt spiral CFLs that are 16" from the substrate, no CO2, but it is getting pretty much the full EI fertilizer dosing. This tank does have some algae, but it is only about 9 weeks old and still establishing. In comparison my lowest light tank, 1.5wpg of NO T5s, is a total algae mess:roll:.