Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Do you have Flash installed? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/do-you-have-flash-installed-137/)

Mike 08-07-2006 02:23 PM

Do you have Flash installed?

Hello everyone,

We are considering doing some cosmetic upgrades here that would require the Adobe Flash plugin (formerly Macromedia Flash) be installed.

Please take a moment to let us know whether or not you have Flash installed.

Thank you,
Administrator

SKAustin 08-07-2006 03:41 PM

Just a personal opinion, but I would avoid the Flash idea. It could deter potential future members from visiting/joining

Rebecca 08-07-2006 04:01 PM

I'm not sure what Flash enables exactly; I know it has to do with animation though. What you could do, whenever this poll is finished, is just try the stuff for a couple of weeks or something and see what everyone thinks about it. I know that some websites have two formats; you can set which one you want, whether it's Flash or whatever. I don't know if that's more complicated though. :)

Mike 08-07-2006 04:05 PM

You make good points. I know that some people are turned off by Flash, but I did not have anything elaborate in mind. In fact, it would be limited to a single element at the top of the home page. I like the idea of trying it for a while and seeing what members think. If it causes delays in loading or is distracting we can get rid of it, but I have something in mind that I think may look very nice.

jsm11482 08-07-2006 10:24 PM

As a software developer I can say that Flash has its place. However, this may not be the place for it. Unless you plan on adding something other than a forum to the site. In the current state the only use that flash my bring is a slideshow-type application, where you could have it loop thru everyone's uploaded pics of their tanks and fish. Let me know if you have any questions as I am glad to help.

By the way, I just joine today and already feel like part of the family. I was wondering, how long has this site been around?

Lupin 08-07-2006 10:40 PM

Quote:

By the way, I just joine today and already feel like part of the family. I was wondering, how long has this site been around?
Just last month. We are still trying to inform our friends to join the forum so that it receives good publicity.:)

Rebecca 08-09-2006 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator
Don't plan on doing anything elaborate...It would be limited to a single element at the top of the homepage.

I like the thing you did with the title, Admin! It didn't cause any problems with me, and I have Mozilla Firefox which sometimes tends to distort/block many awesome things on webpages. Anyway, I think it's awesome.

Mike 08-09-2006 02:01 PM

So glad to hear that you like it, GuppyGirl101! We are going to be making a number of improvements and additions around here so keep an eye out ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuppyGirl101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Administrator
Don't plan on doing anything elaborate...It would be limited to a single element at the top of the homepage.

I like the thing you did with the title, Admin! It didn't cause any problems with me, and I have Mozilla Firefox which sometimes tends to distort/block many awesome things on webpages. Anyway, I think it's awesome.

jsm11482 08-09-2006 02:09 PM

I also think it's pretty sweet! Working with flash can be cumbersome at times but the end results can be quite nice. Good work!

joeshmoe 08-09-2006 04:11 PM

I have no idea.

I have no idea. :?