Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Injured Panda Cory (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/injured-panda-cory-136769/)

DanielaMarie 03-25-2013 12:27 PM

Injured Panda Cory

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone!

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with 4 panda cories, 4 neon tetras and a betta; I've never seen any kind of aggression from my betta towards any of the others. I've been gone for the past week on spring break while my tank stayed at school. I did a water change and fed them well before I left and everything looked good. Last night when I got back I did another water change and nothing looked out of the ordinary in terms of their behavior, the cories and neon hid and the betta was curious on what I was doing. This morning when I fed them I noticed quite a protrusion around one of my cories gills and it looks like he was injured at some point. There's nothing off about the other inhabitants, the tank is kept at a steady 76 degrees and the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all zero. Is there something I can do to help him heal? I have a small one gallon tank I use for quarantine when adding new fish.

Thank you for your input.
Daniela Marie

Here's a picture of the cory's injury and one of the tank.

Romad 03-25-2013 12:48 PM

It looks more like a tumor or bubble to me but maybe it's hard to tell with the picture? Can you tell if it's clear or cloudy?

DanielaMarie 03-25-2013 03:16 PM

It's kind of an opaque light pink.

jaysee 03-25-2013 03:54 PM

Looks like lymphocystis to me.

DanielaMarie 03-25-2013 04:09 PM

Based on some quick research, this is an infectious virus that can not be treated but usually heals on its own with time? Should I put him in my 1 gallon tank until it heals itself? Is there something I should add to my main tank to keep it from infecting the other fish?

Romad 03-25-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1540641)
Looks like lymphocystis to me.

Isn't that more crusty looking? Have you seen it in person?

jaysee 03-25-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1540833)
Isn't that more crusty looking? Have you seen it in person?

I have seen it in person a few times at work - wild fish. Aside from that, just pictures. It can take on a wide range of looks and shapes. As far as I can tell, crustiness is something that can eventually develop, but I don't think it's crusty to start.

I don't know much more about it than that. I know I would cull the fish, but they aren't pets to me (I work on a fishing boat - I kill fish for a living) so that obviously has significant influence over my decisions.

Byron 03-25-2013 06:33 PM

I too would quickly destroy any fish with something like this. As you have space to quarantine it, I certainly would.

This looks much like the issue with the dwarf gourami in another thread. I can't say for certain, but I would worry about infection spreading to other fish.

Byron.

DanielaMarie 03-25-2013 07:22 PM

I have separated the infected fish. Is there something I can/should do to make sure this hasn't spread to any of the others? Do you think it would be more humane to euthanize the fish or wait and see?

Byron 03-25-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielaMarie (Post 1542273)
I have separated the infected fish. Is there something I can/should do to make sure this hasn't spread to any of the others? Do you think it would be more humane to euthanize the fish or wait and see?

One should never treat a tank unless there is certainty that it requires it. Medications stress all fish to some extent, and this weakens them and lessens the effectiveness of the immune system, which means that if something is present, they will be even more likely to contract it--and it might be something quite different from what one treats for, without knowing. One thing that usually does help, no matter what, is a water change. Nothing drastic; just insert the hose and drain out say half the tank, and refill with dechlorinated water. This can work wonders by just refreshing the environment and thus the fish.

When I have seen something like this, it has been confined to one fish and when removed no others came down with it. But again, without knowing what this is, I can't say what may or may not occur. But let's hope nothing in the main tank.

As for the poor fish, if someone can suggest suitable medications/treatment, fine. If this is a virus, there is no treatment for any virus. If it is an internal protozoan, medicated food might help. If the fish is acting normal, one would assume this may not be bothering it too much. If I see fish in obvious trouble, with rapid respiration, abnormal behaviours, etc, I tend to put them down. They never recover, and clear signs of distress bother me.

Byron.