Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Parasite?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bettababy 
#1 ·
My betta has been rapidly darting quite a bit lately. She seems to like to scratch he underside and sometimes she tries to scratch her sides along the gravel on the bottom. She does this ALOT. She often seems to have no control over her movement. I can't see anything on the outside of her body though. Do you think it could be a parasite? I want to help her, but I'm scared to treat her for something I'm not sure she has. If nobody has any idea, I will take a picture later if it will help. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks.

#2 ·
Could be parasites, but I'd hedge my bet on water conditions. Check your water for ammonia , nitrite and nitrates. These could be climbing and irritating the "skin" of the fish. If water conditions are not favorable, adjust your water change schedule to be more frequent.

Bettas are tricky when treating for disease and maladies. If you have parasites, I would use Prazipro on most other fish. I have never used it on bettas, so I don't know how they will react. Maybe someone who has had this problem can answer the effectiveness and problems associated with treating bettas with Prazipro.

#3 ·
Along with the picture please include
water params for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
water temp
size of tank
filter? if so, which one?

And any other information you may be able to give us about the fish, the tank/environment, and any other symptoms...

Once we have all of that we should be able to help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.