Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Pregnant Platies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/pregnant-platies-13645/)

BlackLabelsGirl 04-08-2008 10:31 PM

Pregnant Platies

I have done some looking around and well come to find out my Platie is Prego. Some one had said in a forum that when a white pimple looking thing form at her butt that means that she is ready to give birth. We have her in a Breeding tank. Does anyone know how long usually it takes for her to start delivering her babies? Your Help Would Be AWESOME! We are beginer Fish Owners and are kinda freaked out. Can you help PLEASE! ! !

southafrica1001 04-08-2008 11:49 PM

just watch her in the breeding tank as it can cause them to become stressed and possibly abort. if there is alot of decorations and plants in your tank then the strong fry will live, however the net can still be used but just monitor her. she will be close to dropping her fry when she becomes squared off near belly. some females hide in plants or on the bottom of the tank before they give birth. congratulations and good luck :D.

BlackLabelsGirl 04-09-2008 10:29 PM

Hey Thanks! She is being weird, one minute she will swim around then the next minute she is still and has her fins all perked up. Is that a sign of stress? If so what should we do? We have about 10 plants or so. Is that enough? or should we get more?

southafrica1001 04-10-2008 09:32 AM

if a fish is stressed a tell tale sign is loss of colour. i wouldnt be to worried about the swimming around and stopping but then again i havent had many fish in a breeder. as for the plants im not to sure as usually my fish give birth in the tank and then i transfer the fry into a breeding net. i have heard and read on the forum that floating plants like java moss also provide a safe hiding place for fry.

BlackLabelsGirl 04-10-2008 09:41 AM

Hey Thanks again! She looks like she is not losing color. so thats a good thing. I will continue to watch her and keep ya updated on anyhting that happens. Thanks again! ! !

southafrica1001 04-10-2008 09:48 AM

good to hear she is ok, i also find that if a fish is stressed they also stop eating and lurk in a corner, but like i said before just watch, if there is anything at all that concerns you just post :D

BlackLabelsGirl 04-24-2008 09:16 PM

Ok so my platty is STILL prego... I dont know. one day she looked thin and we thought ok maybe she had her babies.... nothing... the black spots were still visible and the red patch has gottten alot deeper red. so the next day she is FAT again... weird. we left her in the breeding tank just in case... well she is still fat to this day. like i said the black spot never went away and the red patch has gotten alot deeper in color... So my question is she really pregnant??? I am confused! ! ! LOL

BlackLabelsGirl 05-21-2008 05:25 PM

My Fish that was pregnant died a few mornings ago. poor thing, she was like 3 times her size. and when we woke up the next morning she was gone...

Angelmarie 05-26-2008 02:43 PM

I'm new here, but found this site by accident....happy to, tho, cuz I found 8 babies in my tank.....and not sure who is responsible for these.....not sure it's my black mollys or George and Gracy..(orange with black). I'm thinking it's those two.....the babies resemble them.....so far. How do I care for these little ones??????? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Angelmarie 05-26-2008 03:02 PM

I have one more question for anyone......why does my silver sailfin molly torment and poke my black molly???? I have two of each. And thought they would do OK together, at least that is what the gal at the place I bought them, said. HELP