Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   ammonia level jumps, HELP!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/ammonia-level-jumps-help-136377/)

hallie56 03-24-2013 06:21 PM

ammonia level jumps, HELP!!!

I need some advice.... quick.... if possible.
PH 7.2
Ammonia at this time .25
Nitrite-unknown
Nitrate- Unknown.
(lfs did not have test kit . Had to buy separate and they were out of Nitrite and nitrate tests)

30 gal.
Established tank over 3 months ago.
I have 2 adult platys
6 juvenile platys
3 adult male guppys
3 female guppys.... (others are in other tanks) (all parameters are good in those)
1 Cory ( I believe that is what it is)
Moved pleco out of tank 3 days ago due to aggressiveness towards tank mates. (using him to setup a new tank)

I have been using test strips up until today. I went to lfs to buy a test kit ( have had experience with them) and when I tested the community tank the ammonia level was .50.
I did a 50 % water change and the ammonia level is down but still at .25.... I do not want to stress them out but not sure when it will be better to do another water change. It has been along time since I have had issues with this and cannot remember how often for guppys. I do not like using chemicals to set or change things but need to know if there is something that I can do to help my friends.

Please any help is appreciated and I learn quick*S*
:-(

jaysee 03-24-2013 06:49 PM

Doing a water change is FAR less stressful than being poisoned.... ;-) I'd do another water change to get it down further.

hallie56 03-24-2013 09:53 PM

just finished doing 2 50% water change......waiting the 5 min. until I can say for sure. Just wish I knew what caused the spike. should I keep a check everyday? or wait a few days before I check it again?

MoneyMitch 03-24-2013 10:03 PM

the w/c is best for the situaion as jay reccomended, as far as what caused the spike. did you change filter pads add any chems aggressivly vaccum gravel or have any recent additions? maybe over fed a bit? something caused it just trying to give some ideas.

jaysee 03-24-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hallie56 (Post 1534833)
just finished doing 2 50% water change......waiting the 5 min. until I can say for sure. Just wish I knew what caused the spike. should I keep a check everyday? or wait a few days before I check it again?

Some water conditioners provide false positives after a water change, and most bind ammonia and nitrite for about 24 hours. Do a test tomorrow and let us know what you get.

hallie56 03-24-2013 10:17 PM

I did change my filter pad on wed. I guess I should have just rinsed the old one off or something. My ppm is now 0 thank goodness. that may have been why the other tanks are good and this one was bad.. It is the only one I changed. Thank you all so much.