Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Albino Corydoras scare me! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/albino-corydoras-scare-me-136321/)

Xeek 03-24-2013 06:03 PM

Albino Corydoras scare me!

I just got 5 of them yesterday to join my 8 false julii's and betta sorority. They are amazing looking and often seem to be active, but they're behavior isn't something I witnessed with my false julii's.

For the second time today I saw one floating up side down on the surface of the water. I thought he had died! I tapped, nothing. I tapped vigorously and magically he woke up and swam down in a very healthy way to join his friends searching the bottom for food. Why do they have to scare me like this? Do they have a habit of sleeping up side down on the surface? I'm more used to seeing corydoras sleeping near the bottom or on a leaf right side up. They can sleep pretty deeply and not wake easily and sometimes drift sideways, but upside down on the top? hehe.

I'm just glad they're all still alive.

jaysee 03-24-2013 06:40 PM

No, corys do not generally sleep upside down at the surface. There is likely something really wrong. Too bad you did not quarantine them - I hope it doesn't become a problem for you.

As a side note - new fish do not always act "normal". Some species will take to a new tank much faster than others.

Thoth 03-24-2013 07:58 PM

Have you tested your water? If anything looks high, I would do a large water change. I have never seen Cories floating at the surface. Was it gasping for air like there is an ammonia problem or a swim bladder issue?

Xeek 03-24-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thoth (Post 1532497)
Have you tested your water? If anything looks high, I would do a large water change. I have never seen Cories floating at the surface. Was it gasping for air like there is an ammonia problem or a swim bladder issue?

And I suppose this imaginary ammonia I may have is the kind all the other fish are immune too? hehe The ammonia alarm is still normal and last week's tests showed 0 across the board for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia...

I don't have anywhere to quarantine them at the moment. I decided to take the risk this time.

The other corydoras are all acting as I expect, except this one that likes to swim upside down on the surface. He does it maybe for a few minutes then goes back down to swim with the others normally.

jaysee 03-24-2013 11:20 PM

I doubt it likes to float upside down at the surface. If you have no way of isolating the fish, you might want to consider culling it. That's what I would do if I were in your position - I would not risk the health of the other fish in the tank just for the one.

Xeek 03-24-2013 11:35 PM

I have a breeder box I can use, but all evening he hasn't done it, all 5 of the corys are on the bottom right now resting, all appear to be breathing. If I noticed anything abnormal in the morning I am going to get the box out of the closet. I suppose I could get the 2.5 gallon going again, but I really wanted to clean it out before i put fish in it again, it last stored some sickly ones.

jaysee 03-24-2013 11:37 PM

I don't see the breeder box doing any good.

Byron 03-25-2013 06:29 PM

I would not remove this one fish unless it develops more precise symptoms of something [red bloltches, patches, red gills, increased respiration, etc]. While I agree that this might be a bad sign, it also might just be temporary stress reaction. Corys are sometimes prone to just tipping over on their side for example, what some refer to as the cory faint; they can completely recover. I have seen this and the fish lived normally afterwards.

Corydoras do not appreciate any change to their environment, and such is very highly stressful. I doubt that the selectively-bred albino form would have changed much from the wild ancestor species (likely Corydoras aneus) in this regard. So maintaining stable parameters, and otherwise reducing stress as much as possible, is the best course.

Byron.

Xeek 04-10-2013 11:47 AM

All of the albinos are doing well... This one particular cory still enjoys sleeping near the surface and searching for food upside down lol. He's just differnt from the others it seems. The other day I caught him sleeping near the surface. I thought he finally kicked the bucket. I gave him a small nudge and he swam down to join his buddies.

I have a betta in a transparent breeder box and this cory is doing his thing upside down on the bottom of this box. My new betta has had much entertainment from this.

During feeding time he does go back down to the feeding area where I normally drop food, but on occasion he just enjoys the surface. I don't know why.

Maybe his brain is upside down.

Kuddos 2 U 04-10-2013 02:06 PM

Never seen that kind of behavior before...