Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Algae eating cories (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/algae-eating-cories-13632/)

russp 04-08-2008 01:58 PM

Algae eating cories
 
My cories (1 Panda and 2 Julii) have started grazing on the algae on my plants and even occaisionally on the glass. They don't seem under fed so I was wondering what could have started this behavior.

tophat665 04-08-2008 10:03 PM

When cories start eating salads, you know they are getting concerned about whether they will look good in a bikini this summer. :tease:

Cories do like their veggies, seriously. I have to toss an extra algae pellet in the catfish tank of love for the cories, otherwise the plecos don't get enough. So they will nibble algae from time to time; you just can't count on them to keep the glass clean like you could with otos or Bristlenoses.

southafrica1001 04-09-2008 12:06 AM

yea like tophat665 said, i have to put in another algae pellet for them, i also have three and they go mad over the pellets even though they are nicely fed :D

russp 04-09-2008 08:28 AM

I've been dropping in small sinking sticks that I believe are shrimp based. Should I switch to something algae based?

Lupin 04-09-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russp
I've been dropping in small sinking sticks that I believe are shrimp based. Should I switch to something algae based?

I see no reason why you cannot.

tophat665 04-09-2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russp
I've been dropping in small sinking sticks that I believe are shrimp based. Should I switch to something algae based?

Don't switch. Mix them up. Give them algae once or twice a week, shrimp pellets three or four times a week, and frozen bloodworms or live blackworms once a week and you will have some fat and happy cories.

Jasey 04-09-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
Don't switch. Mix them up. Give them algae once or twice a week, shrimp pellets three or four times a week, and frozen bloodworms or live blackworms once a week and you will have some fat and happy cories.

So -how much- should they be fed? I have 5 panda cories and I'm not sure how much they should eat.

tophat665 04-10-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasey
Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
Don't switch. Mix them up. Give them algae once or twice a week, shrimp pellets three or four times a week, and frozen bloodworms or live blackworms once a week and you will have some fat and happy cories.

So -how much- should they be fed? I have 5 panda cories and I'm not sure how much they should eat.

I am no expert on this. I let my snail population tell me when I am overfeeding, and I do overfeed my cories because I want them to breed (which they do every month or so).

5 Pandas? Start with 5 shrimp pellets, an algae tablet, and about half a cube of bloodworms (melt the whole cube, squirt half of it to the bottom of the tank with a turkey baster and put the rest in at the top of the water for the rest of the fishies.) One of those a day (not all three). See how your water parameters and snail population go and adjust accordingly.

Jasey 04-10-2008 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
I am no expert on this. I let my snail population tell me when I am overfeeding, and I do overfeed my cories because I want them to breed (which they do every month or so).

5 Pandas? Start with 5 shrimp pellets, an algae tablet, and about half a cube of bloodworms (melt the whole cube, squirt half of it to the bottom of the tank with a turkey baster and put the rest in at the top of the water for the rest of the fishies.) One of those a day (not all three). See how your water parameters and snail population go and adjust accordingly.

Thanks! Your suggestion is about half as much as I have been feeding them, and my nitrate levels are quite high. I have a pleco and a mystery snail too. I will cut back for a while and see how that goes.

tophat665 04-10-2008 12:25 PM

Yeah, in general wild animals live right on the bleeding edge of starvation. Unless you're conditioning fish for breeding, they need a lot less food than you'd think.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2