Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Are there any materials that Moss has trouble latching onto? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/there-any-materials-moss-has-trouble-136313/)

Dawes 03-24-2013 04:31 PM

Are there any materials that Moss has trouble latching onto?

I was curious as I have several pieces of Ceramic-type Cichlid rocks, and I was hoping to tie down pieces of moss onto them in hopes they would eventually latch on.

The surface is very similar to that of a rough jagged rock, and has no smooth and no shiny surface to it, however it is man-made.
I've noticed that it is very brittle and has a quite porous/pitted surface.

iamgray 03-25-2013 09:54 PM

What kind of moss? My experience with moss is quite limited... I've tried Java Moss with rocks and driftwood and never had any success with it latching on to either. After speaking to one of the owners at the LFS I frequent, he told me to try Christmas moss and claimed that if the surface is rough enough and has a few crevices to jam the moss into, it would latch on without tying it down. I'm still waiting to see that but it's been only a week or so since I got it. At least it's still jammed into the driftwood where I put it.

But anyways, from what he told me, the rougher the surface, the easier it will be to get the moss to attach.

Boredomb 03-25-2013 11:36 PM

As Iamgray as stated it has to be a rough surface for moss to attach easily. I have Java moss now that is attached to driftwood. I had to tie it down to get to stay but its good now. It takes awhile for it to take a holld soo patience is needed there.

It should take hold of the rocks you have on time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bongox3 05-18-2013 01:36 PM

Hi...I'm interested in attaching (via tie) moss to a large piece of driftwood...there's a rather strong current in my tank...will this be detrimental to the moss obtaining nutrients? Anything besides liquid fertz to consider? High light or medium??? Thank you...-mike

redchigh 05-18-2013 03:29 PM

Most mosses prefer low to medium light, unless you dose coČ.

I've had java moss latch into cheap epoxy-coated gravel, so i doubt you'll have any problems

jaysee 05-18-2013 03:35 PM

moss has a tough time with glass :-)

Bongox3 05-18-2013 04:02 PM

That's perfect...med light with co2....groovy thanks!!!

JDM 05-19-2013 10:31 AM

I've not tried tying it, just stuff it near the driftwood and it takes. It always looks rather loose as if it might float away on a whim but I just trim it back every few weeks so it looks more compact. My driftwood is not particularly rough so unless it were very smooth (river rocks maybe) it should be fine. Tying it may help obviously.

I left some loose pieces floating free to see where they would end up and they grabbed hold of the sand and are growing in a back corner using the substrate as an anchor.

I have medium light and it is fine with weekly flourish comprehensive dosing and no CO2. Nice and green, lots of growth.

Jeff.

Bongox3 05-19-2013 11:45 AM

Thank you JDM....by the way I just saw ur tank on ur profile - outstanding!!!

JDM 05-19-2013 12:25 PM

Thanks.

Jeff.