Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Help diagnose my sick beta? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-diagnose-my-sick-beta-13626/)

beans_etc 04-08-2008 10:52 AM

Help diagnose my sick beta?

I posted a while back about how my beta had fin rot, and luckily after some medicating that's completely cleared up. He was back to his regular healthy self for a while and now suddenly I'm worried that he's sick again.

Symptoms:

- He's completely stopped eating. Usually when I feed him he gets very excited and nips everything up right away. He hasn't even touched any food for the past two days.

- He's become very lethargic. He's typically a very active little fish, especially when I come home from work and look in his tank -- he usually gets excited and swims right up to the glass. For the past couple days he's hardly moved. He's taken to just hovering up near the top of the water, you can hardly even get his attention anymore.

- I've been trying look at him through the tank glass to see if he looks different at all physically, and all I've noticed is that I think he's getting patches of dull color -- kind of whitish or brownish patches mostly under his head and neck. (To be completely honest though I'm not sure if he's always had these or not though...)

Any ideas? I'm really worried about him. >_<;

Blaxicanlatino 04-08-2008 12:29 PM

what is the temperature? maybe hes cold... the tank needs to be at least 75 degrees F. How long have you had him? maybe hes just old. They average life about 2 years. Keep an eye on the white patches to ensure that they arent fungus growing or bacterial infection.

You said he had tail rot... which is USUALLY caused by poor water conditions. If the water is still bad it could be a possibility that it is fungus or bacterial infection.

Hope he gets better 8)

beans_etc 04-08-2008 12:37 PM

I keep the temperature just around 81 degrees all the time. I also only bought him a few months ago (I think four or five months), though I got him from a pet store so I don't know how old he was when I bought him... I read about the fungus, but these white patches don't look like lint or growth or anything...they're just patches of white color. I'll keep a watch out though.

I'm ashamed to admit the fin rot probably was caused by unclean water. I'm a first time fish owner and didn't think the water actually had to changed once a week so I let it get a little green. But ever since he got sick the first time I've been very routine about once-a-week changes, I do them every Sunday now so I don't think that's what's causing it this time.

Thanks though~

Flashygrrl 04-08-2008 05:53 PM

You should test the water with an API liquid kit and post what the results are...a lot of times it's something to do with that.

kritas 04-08-2008 05:56 PM

try easing the temperature down 2-3 degrees farenheit. Improbably, the water might be a little hot for your betta.
Also, maybe you should try to excercise him abit. By this I mean getting a mirror for a few minutes (2-3) a day and let him flare at his reflection, If he starts to bang his head move it away obviously. This is an uncommon practice with betta owners.
Hope your betta gets better. :wink:

Flashygrrl 04-08-2008 05:58 PM

Flaring only will stress him out more.

kritas 04-08-2008 06:11 PM

I'm not saying as a flaring type of stimulation, but more to get him aroused, wrong wording...
(might want to move the mirror away once he starts becoming angry)

okiemavis 04-08-2008 09:37 PM

Bettas do well in very warm water- 81 is quite nice for a betta, so I wouldn't worry about the temp. The LOWEST temp you should have him in is 78 degrees. Also, blaxican, you're incorrect about the lifespan. Bettas can easily live 4-5 years if properly cared for, so this betta really shouldn't be elderly.

Beans, can you post the parameters for your tank? We really need to rule out any sort of chemical problems.

beans_etc 04-08-2008 10:29 PM

I have none of the chemicals or test items to test my tank. This is the first fish I've had and I never picked any of those things up.

After some more research online I took another look at him when I got home this evening and I'm horrified to realize that I think he has Dropsy, because I hear it's almost always fatal. There's slight "pineconing" of his scales when I look at him from above. Does anyone know of any easily accessible medicine for dropsy, or if not, how to best put my poor fish out of his pain?

*so depressed*

Flashygrrl 04-09-2008 04:35 AM

There are a few other things that sometimes can cause pineconing...look through the Diseases sticky in Emergencies. And please purchase that kit.