Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Java moss idea! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/java-moss-idea-13619/)

kritas 04-08-2008 06:01 AM

Java moss idea!

I don't know if this is a new idea or not but I found it on another site and decided to post it here. I suppose it's half a DIY thing and half a plant thing.
1. Get some netting small enough for your fish to not get stuck in, but big enough for java moss to cling on to.
2. Grab your netting and lay it out. Cut it to desired size, possibly the whole wall of your aquarium even!(makes a great background)
3. Get your Java moss, and spread it all over one side of the netting. Set your new Java wall up against the wall of your aquarium, or desired spot.

There you have it! Your new background for your aquarium! :thumbsup:
Merry fish-keeping! :BIGwinky:

Amphitrite 04-08-2008 08:13 AM

Thanks for sharing kritas, it's a great idea. I've seen it done to make a carpet effect on the bottom of tanks, but never as a background.

herefishy 04-08-2008 11:19 AM

I've got one tank, a 20g tall, that I am experimenting with this very idea. Java moss doesn't seem to be growing fast enough for me. (what is the magic word in the hobby, patience? Maybe I should follow my own advice, eh?). I am going to try a faster growing moss, maybe peacock moss, and see if the results are quicker.

The problem seems to be that the upper part of the "wall" grows faster and shades the bottom sections inhibiting growth. I may also try rotating the fixture every other week or so trying to get equal growth.

Blaxicanlatino 04-08-2008 12:16 PM

hey, dat is a great idea...now I just gotta find the netting and the java moss... 8)

kritas 04-08-2008 07:52 PM

You can buy the netting at any hardware store Blaxicanlatino. And Herefishy, when your covering the netting, use it sparingly in each area. Try putting it thicker at the bottom of your ''wall'' if your having this problem.

okiemavis 04-08-2008 08:02 PM

Yeah, I've seen some really beautiful backgrounds from that. I was actually just thinking today how much I wanted to do that. There's a few sellers on Ebay and Aquabid who send some netting and such free with a purchase of moss- me likey.

kritas 04-08-2008 08:09 PM

hmm I just had another idea...
You could get different types of moss and put them all on to give you different contrasts and really make it interesting. Then you could get some similar coloured green stem plant and weave it into the net.
Ah the possibilities!

herefishy 04-08-2008 08:58 PM

Mine started out with the moss covering the plastic mesh sparingly. The moss does grow , ya know.

kritas 04-08-2008 09:00 PM

hmm, you think so? :wink:

Blaxicanlatino 04-10-2008 12:31 PM

hmmm... im thinkin about doin the java moss thing but could someone post a pic of what it looks like once set up so I can rearrange my tank accordingly? 8)