Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cloudy water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cloudy-water-13615/)

jmelissa82 04-08-2008 01:03 AM

Cloudy water

As some of you know I am new to all of this, and I made the mistake of adding to many fish at one time. As a result I am going through a mini cycle. Anyway, my water is very cloudy. I was wondering if that had anything to do with the cycle or if I had an additional problem? Its not a greenish color at all, its just cloudy. Any thoughts?

Flashygrrl 04-08-2008 05:02 AM

Water parameters?

kritas 04-08-2008 06:14 AM

Not only water parameters,
but also what substrate are you using?,
Are there plants in the tank?,
How often are water changes carried out?,
and any other information you might see fit to add...:thumbsup:

jmelissa82 04-08-2008 01:29 PM

Ok well, i just added the fish I think 3 days ago, amybe 4 so I'm huessing the mini cycle is just starting. I was advised to do partials everyday for 7-10 days. And I have been doing that so far. I tested the water and:
Ph: is about 7.4
ammonia: 1.0
nitrite: 1.0
nitrate: 1.0

I haven't done the partial yet today though, so no one yell at me :oops: , also I have rock gravel,along with rock decorations and I do have plants in there... I don't know if this helps or makes any difference??

Togiran 04-08-2008 01:33 PM

That ammonia level is high.

I think you should start doing at least 25% water changes every other day.

jmelissa82 04-08-2008 01:46 PM

O well I was told evry day, so should I switch to every other day?? Also I haven't done one yet today....

Falina 04-08-2008 02:39 PM

25% every day seems like the best routine to me. Once you get your levels down to amonia and nitrite < 0.25 or so then you can ease off on the changes a little, but your tank won't be fully cycled until the readings for amnia and nitrite are 0, and you have a stable and low reading for nitrate. Only then can you go to normal water changes of 25% once a week or so.

beetlebz 04-08-2008 05:35 PM

they are all right... but I think the cloudiness is a result of the mini-cycle. It may be a day, maybe 3 days, but itll go away on its own. keep up those water changes to keep your ammonia down and everything else should fall into place :)

gymnothorax 04-08-2008 05:50 PM

everybody is right : ) to further elaborate on your situation, what is happening with the mini cycle is the addition of too many fish into a non-established tank has caused your nitrifying bacteria to reproduce so fast that it is actually suspended in your water rather than settled in the biological filtration media in your tank. I will clear itself out as your parameters stabilize.

beetlebz 04-08-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymnothorax
I will clear itself out as your parameters stabilize.

wow, you will? what a nice guy! :bluelaugh: hehe jk

good explanation though!