Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   I guess I've never cycled my tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-guess-ive-never-cycled-my-13610/)

tyler12345 04-07-2008 08:50 PM

I guess I've never cycled my tank?

My levels are like 78F and a PH at 6.5 and the nitrite and nitarte are "always switching from none to caution and stress" on my test kit. I mean I guess they're ok. I've had my 38 gallon tnak since christmas and have many non agressive freshwater fish... I kinda just wanna start over and "cycle" my tank. All i've been doing is adding neutrilizers and stuff and now I want to do this the right way.

So can you give me a short definetion of "cycle?"

What are the steps I take to cycle?

etc

Thanks.

Cody 04-07-2008 08:53 PM

This explains it best: http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=343 .

What kind of testing kit are you using? Liquid, or strips? That sounds like it is the problem.

tyler12345 04-07-2008 08:55 PM

It's a strip that measures nitrite, nitrate, hardness, alkalinicity, and ph. Thanks by the way ans sorry for acting like a knew everything in the past(I remember but you prolly don't)

I never knew how much went into this hobby.

Edit: I'm having a hard time reading that link. It just is a lot to understand I guess. Basically I just need to know how my cycle can be natural and easy... or whatever.

Cody 04-07-2008 09:10 PM

Thats your problem; you are using strips. Strips are very inaccurate and never read anything the same. I guarantee your real results will show up when you use it.

tyler12345 04-07-2008 09:15 PM

Um use what?

And can you give the easiest way of cycling, just basic... Like add extra food, don't add chemicals, whatever.

Fishcricker 04-07-2008 11:51 PM

You will get more accurate results testing your water parameters if you use a liquid test kit. A lot of people here, myself included, use the API brand of test kit. Strips are Not Accurate. If your tank has been set up since Christmas, there is a possibility that it has already cycled, but will will need to get accurate water tests done to make sure where you are in the cycle.

As Cody said, this is the link pertaining to cycling.
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=343 .

Anflex 04-08-2008 04:22 AM

I personaly don't see what the fuss is with water testing...

After purchasing a water test kit a year or so ago and not understanding how to use it I never bothered myself with water testing again. Never had any problems with my fish at all.

Water testing is very over rated if you ask me ;)

Flashygrrl 04-08-2008 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anflex
I personaly don't see what the fuss is with water testing...

After purchasing a water test kit a year or so ago and not understanding how to use it I never bothered myself with water testing again. Never had any problems with my fish at all.

Water testing is very over rated if you ask me ;)

Do you even know how many new aquarium owners come in with questions as to why their fish are dying, we ask them to test their tanks with the correct kit and either the ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates are sky high?

thespiff 04-08-2008 06:46 AM

Understanding how to use a test kit and what the results mean is a very big part of successfully keeping fish. The nitrogen cycle is no more complicated than high school level biology. In fact, the high school I volunteer at just got an aquarium and is using it to teach the kids about the Nitrogen cycle.

If you don't understand what a healthy environment for your fish is, your going to have trouble making one.

Fishfreak55 04-08-2008 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespiff
Understanding how to use a test kit and what the results mean is a very big part of successfully keeping fish. The nitrogen cycle is no more complicated than high school level biology. In fact, the high school I volunteer at just got an aquarium and is using it to teach the kids about the Nitrogen cycle.

If you don't understand what a healthy environment for your fish is, your going to have trouble making one.

I'm in that High school level biology and it freakin SUCKS!. It could quite possibly be our teacher but i hardly learn anything in there. Science just isn't my think. Ok tyler12345 on you question for cycling its like this. Your fish are going to defecate into the water wich creates ammonia, the little bacteria break down the ammonia into nitrite, and then inot nitrate. Nitrate is harmless unless it is very concintrated. The reason you need to "cycle" is to let these bacteria grow. If youve had it set up since christmas its quite possible that its already cycled. Your quite lucky that no fish have died because with the nitrites and ammonias levels so high it can be a toxic soup your fish are swimming in. It would be smart to go out and buy a LIQUID water test kit. The strips are a piece of crap. Just read the directions on the kit and your nitrites and ammonia should be 0 and nitrates should be low. :D good luck