Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   IM GOING CRAZY!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/im-going-crazy-13596/)

Fishfreak55 04-07-2008 03:50 PM

IM GOING CRAZY!!

ok im about to go nuts because i don't know what to do !!!. Sometime in the near future *next year or so* i want to set up a 75 gal tank.

At first i wanted to have 2 angels, 2 gourami, 4 Otto Cats, 4 Yoyo loaches, and 1 Pseudacanthicus Leopardus. A friend told me the ottos might not work because ther african and the angels arn't. Would this setup work?

If not, what do you think in your opinion think would be a nice tank featured around some Angel fish. (ive heard angels need 4-5 to be happiest)

1 more thing. I was looking at the African Butterfly Fish. I wasnt sure if it was good for an intermediate aquariumist. If it is nice would this work with an angel fish??? If not what would be a nice aquarium with an African Butterfly FIsh?

bettababy 04-07-2008 04:06 PM

Re: IM GOING CRAZY!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishfreak55
ok im about to go nuts because i don't know what to do !!!. Sometime in the near future *next year or so* i want to set up a 75 gal tank.

At first i wanted to have 2 angels, 2 gourami, 4 Otto Cats, 4 Yoyo loaches, and 1 Pseudacanthicus Leopardus. A friend told me the ottos might not work because ther african and the angels arn't. Would this setup work?

If not, what do you think in your opinion think would be a nice tank featured around some Angel fish. (ive heard angels need 4-5 to be happiest)

1 more thing. I was looking at the African Butterfly Fish. I wasnt sure if it was good for an intermediate aquariumist. If it is nice would this work with an angel fish??? If not what would be a nice aquarium with an African Butterfly FIsh?

For starters, you could make it work except for the pleco. Standard angelfish don't typically handle softened water to the point where that pleco would need it, nor will gouramis.
Angelfish can do just fine with 2 in the tank, the important thing is to keep them in even numbers to avoid there being an odd one out. With odd numbers they will tend to pair up and pick on whoever doesn't have a companion.

Now, for stocking limits... with that list you will need more than 75 gallons. Angelfish at full grown average about 6 - 8 inches in diameter, and are very territorial and aggressive. Standard gouramis will grow to 4 - 5 inches average, and will occupy the same territory as the angels. In a 75 gallon long term (longer than about 6 months to a yr) you could expect the angels and gouramis to fight for territory.

African butterfly fish also occupy the surface of the aquarium... and they need live crickets for food. This can be quite difficult to keep them well cared for, and I would absolutely not mix them into a tank with angels and gouramis together. That would simply be asking for trouble. The butterfly fish will also need the same water params as that pleco... soft water with pH around 6.0 - 7.0, and temps in the mid 80's. Gouramis won't be able to handle the soft water or the temps, ottos won't do well with that temp range either.

Are you set on 75 gallons? Let us know what else we can do to help.

Dave66 04-07-2008 04:14 PM

Re: IM GOING CRAZY!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishfreak55

Fishfreak.

Otocinclus are South American, not African. Specifically, they inhabitate the floating meadows in the Amazon basin. They also should be kept in groups of six or more. Google Otocinclus affinis for details.
The Goramies are Asian, as are the loaches. The only South Americans in your list are the angelfish, the Otocinclus, and the pleco. You've heard correctly; to diffuse aggression between them, six angels would be a better choice.
The African butterfly fish will snatch and eat any fish that will fit in its mouth that gets close to it, and they have BIG mouths.
Just FYI, in my 75 are 36 Lemon tetras, 18 rosy tetras, 12 marbled hatchetfish, 12 Corydoras guapore and six Ancistrus claro.

Dave

bettababy 04-07-2008 04:42 PM

Dave's tank sounds grossly overstocked!

Please don't attempt to put 6 angelfish into a 75 gallon tank! That is a recipe for disaster!!!

bettababy 04-07-2008 05:43 PM

I forgot to mention that African butterfly fish are insectivores.... they don't feed on other fish. They are strictly surface dwelling.

Fishfreak55 04-07-2008 07:12 PM

ok im not set in stone on anything. Thanks for all the info.. atm i ahve around 4' long x 2' deep. The height can be varied. This is if we don't move. I will make for sure that we don't move b4 i buy, but if we move i can atleast have a 75 most likly ALOT bigger. Ok....well if the angels won't do very well....how about if i did a Butterfly and pleco.... what would go well with them. I've heard of rasboras or something like that... Need any additional information just ask. Thanks betta.

fish_4_all 04-07-2008 07:48 PM

Butterfly fish sites:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_butterflyfish
http://www.centralpets.com/animals/f...h/fwf4473.html
http://www.fishforum.com/database.php

From what I have been able to find, the African Butterfly would be fine in that size tank if you set it up with the right parameters and did not get the Angels nor the gouramis. As far as feeding, all the sources I have found say thay will eat anything and everything once they get a taste for it. Live insects, small fish, flakes, frozen shrimp, and a lot of other stuff too. They do prefer to have a lot of floating plants and for a 75 or larger tank, lillies might be a great option for this. A really good tight cover is also needed because they love to jump for prey. Personally, since it is such and exquisite fish, I would raise a lot of different live food for it to feed it on the surface. Mix that with quality frozen and prepared foods and it should be a happy camper, or campers if you go for more than one. Egg crate could be a really good option for a hood to provide ease of feeding and keep the fish from exploring the house on the short flights it is capable of doing.

I also was able to find that butterfly can be bred in home aquaria and do best in groups of mixed male and female, if not alone. There can still be aggression so a little more research will be needed as to how to deal with them. All male groups are not recommended for reasons of aggression.

As for the pleco, if it needs the same water requirements then I don't see why not. Other additions could be bottom fish that need the same water req's as the butterfly fish do not like to have any other fish sharing their swimming areas.

I think that they would be a perfect fish for a 75 gallon. Set up right and add a little research and you may be able to have 2-4 of them in it. This is assuming that the tank is a normal tank and not a tall. If it is a normal 75 then there would be a lot of surface area and lots of places for them to feed and hunt.

thespiff 04-08-2008 10:10 AM

If you're looking at smaller schooling fish like rasboras, they're the type of fish that I think make a good filler fish for a discus tank. Maybe Discus + harlequin rasboras + blue rams. Could get a medium sized pleco in there too probably, but the bioload and space requirements for big plecos is hard to manage unless you have a really large tank, like over 100 gal.