Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Makeshift QT: will it work? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/makeshift-qt-will-work-135849/)

fish keeper 2013 03-23-2013 10:20 PM

Makeshift QT: will it work?

As spending money on a tank and just letting it sit their with nothing in it for most of the time doesn't make sense to me... I started looking around for an alternative. I found an idea that really intrigued me... So heres the plan:

1. Take a plastic wrap and cover the bottom of a spare bathtub
2. Fill it up with 10, 20, or 30 gallons of water (whatever is most suitable for whatever medication i might be using)
3. Add a 250w heater I have sitting around, probally should use more gallons cause 250w is good for 50 gallons
4. Add a few fake plants and a broken flower pot or something
5. Use seachem prime to keep ammonia and nitrite down
6. Perhaps put in a cheap airstone and airpump
7. Do frequent water changes

As I already have most of these items all I need to buy is a few decorations and air pump (plus airline tubing and airstone)

Do you guys think it could possibly work? Is there anything i forgot or anything that could go wrong? Thanks in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device

fish keeper 2013 03-23-2013 10:27 PM

Oh yeah, also get a cheap sponge filter to attach to the air pump. Sponge filter should be okay as there is 30 or more gallons of water and there is like 1 or 2 guppies

More benefits of this is that I can use the sponge filter in the normal tank while im not using the QT, so my tank will be extra clean and the sponge filter will be colonized with BA (beneficial archeae!). I can even use the air pump to run a brine shrimp hatchery.
Posted via Mobile Device

MoneyMitch 03-23-2013 10:53 PM

QT tank and hospital tank are two diffrent things, i dont agree with the method you are proposing as a QT tank. a QT tank is a place for the fish to become adjusted and settle in to show its true behavior and any illness it may be carrying. a tank or container with some plants and decor like you mentioned with heater filter substrate etc etc is best IMO for a QT tank. a hospital tank is where you use bare bottom with minimal decor just a spot for the fish to hide and is easily taken down and setback up when you need to medicate.

Chesh 03-24-2013 12:10 AM

A bathtub? Huh. I guess it could be done, but I'd rather use something along the lines of a Rubbermaid tote instead! I'm not really understanding the point of the plastic wrap on the bottom of the tub, and not so sure that it would stay there once water was added, anyway. Maybe I'm misunderstanding!

Mikaila31 03-24-2013 01:25 AM

Use a plastic storage bin not a bath tub.

jaysee 03-24-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1525441)
QT tank and hospital tank are two diffrent things, i dont agree with the method you are proposing as a QT tank. a QT tank is a place for the fish to become adjusted and settle in to show its true behavior and any illness it may be carrying. a tank or container with some plants and decor like you mentioned with heater filter substrate etc etc is best IMO for a QT tank. a hospital tank is where you use bare bottom with minimal decor just a spot for the fish to hide and is easily taken down and setback up when you need to medicate.

A hospital tank and quarantine tank are one and the same - the only difference is the current use for the tank. That being said, I do advocate having more than one quarantine tank - what happens if you have a new fish in there and something happens to one of your current fish??

If it doesn't make sense for you to buy a tank just to have it sit there, then that tells me a couple things. you've never had a your tank wiped out because a new fish turned out to be diseased. Now here's the thing - the new fish may or may not die - it can be a carrier and infect the others. Also, your tank must be fully stocked, otherwise you don't understand the purpose I the quarantine tank. Unless you only buy a few new fish a year, that tank WILL be in use. Or at least it SHOULD be. I know some people quarantine their fish for just a week or two - others for a month. NO good can come from rushing fish into your show tank. None at all. I quarantine new fish for well over a month. I want to be as sure as I possibly can be that there's nothing wrong with my new fish before I put it in a tank with several hundred dollars worth of fish. Maybe you don't keep expensive fish - the point remains the same. Money is relative. That being said, spend a little money and get a small tank or tub - don't use plastic wrap and the bathtub.

fish keeper 2013 03-24-2013 07:32 AM

Okay thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

fish keeper 2013 03-24-2013 07:55 AM

I was thinking it would be more of a temporary set up though... As I am almost sure that I won''t be allowed to set up a QT, so this kinda for emergency use (I figure a bad one is better than nothing). I haven't been fishkeeping for very long and only have one tank... And when I get my next one I'm getting a betta tank. Don't know how long till another one, but it might be a while. Therefore I could feasibly only introduce one batch of fish to a tank with fish already once in the next year. So this is kind of like an emergency hospital tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chesh 03-24-2013 08:08 AM

I dunno. . . I'm SURE I'd rather my kid put fish in a rubbermaid container over my bathtub any day! Maybe they'll let you set up the tote IN the tub?! Hopefully you won't need it, it sounds like you're thinking more for an emergency hospital situation, so it might not come up. The totes come in all sizes, and are pretty cheap - you can find them for $5 and under. With the tub. . . I'd be really nervous about soap and chemical residue harming the fish and it will be difficult to hold a temp, I'd think. Also, if you've ever put 10 gallons of water in a bathtub. . . it isn't going to give you very much depth. Bathtubs aren't for fish. . . unless you had a REALLY big fish!

fish keeper 2013 03-24-2013 08:33 AM

Its a spare bathtub, that would just be weird... The point of the before mentioned plastic wrap is to prevent those harmful residue. I would fill it up with upwards of 30 gallons of water to suit my 200w heaters needs. And why would it be hard to hold temperature? Thanks for the feedback!
Posted via Mobile Device