Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   stocked my tank, got a question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocked-my-tank-got-question-13582/)

anthony1238 04-06-2008 10:58 PM

stocked my tank, got a question

OK so over the past week i stocked my tank. Its a 55 gallon that was fishless cycled.

I got:

2 Creamsicle Mollies
2 swordtals
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Golden Gourami
8 Rasboras
3 Ghost fish

My question is can i possible fit and cories in the tank or am i to my limit? i wanted something to take care of the bottom since the Rasboras school in the middle, and the rest of the fish mostly stay away from the bottom.

Lupin 04-07-2008 07:55 AM

Do you have pics of these "ghost fish"? Are they glass fish or glass catfish? Consider replacing both the gold and opaline with gouramis that are far less aggressive. Pearls or honey may be your best options. Both of the gouramis you have there tend to bully smaller tankmates. Unless the tank is heavily planted, there is not much chance for the smaller tankmates to live from constant harassments. What species are these rasboras?

You can have 15 small species of cories such as Corydoras pygmaeus or the small species of plecos such as Panaque maccus.

anthony1238 04-07-2008 09:52 AM

Harlequin Rasbora, the the other 3 are Ghost Glass Cat. they usually stay together in a cave or under the plant i have floating at the top while the light is on, But they come out at night when the light is off and socialize.
The Gouramis are fine, they're not harrassing anyone. and there probably the same size of the mollies and swordtails. only the Harlequin are smaller for now.

Cody 04-07-2008 04:45 PM

Glass Cats should be in groups of 6+, or they become very skittish. The Gouramis can also be a problem later down the road as Lupin said. Since they are new to the tank, they will most likely not show this behaivor.

I also agree on the Pygmy Cories and Clown/Bristlnosed Pleco. I have a Clown, and he definately has a very unique personality.

anthony1238 04-07-2008 06:34 PM

Thanks, i had a Blue gourami when i was younger, it seemed to get along with its tankmates then to so hopefully there shouldnt be a problem. Ill pick up some 3 more glass cats and 6 cories and maybe a clown pleco?? hows that sound?

Cody 04-07-2008 07:31 PM

Maybe. 3 Glass Cats is the most important thing. Are you keeping the Gouramis in, or taking them out?

The Gourami you had was most likely a Dwarf Gourami, which are usually peaceful to other fish.

What is your male/female ratio for the swords? 1M, 1F right? There should be 2-3 females per male.

anthony1238 04-07-2008 11:13 PM

the gourami i had before was a three spot gourami. I will most likely be keeping them because there one of my favorite fish. i'll definitly pick up 3 more glass though

also if i see any hostility i'll pick up another female swordtail but so far so good.

mitcore 04-08-2008 02:20 AM

i cant see why 3 corys would be an issue, they are bottom feeders and i have 6 of them in my 55 and have no dramas with them, that is an impressive list

anthony1238 04-09-2008 12:35 PM

Ok heres the deal, the 3 Glass cats i had in there were split up. 2 hung out together and 1 stayed in the cave. I got 3 more and when i put them in the tank one of the new ones kicked the other out of the cave so now a new one is in there. but the old one that was there is now schooling with the 2 other new ones. The 2 older ones stay on the other side and the other new one stays in the cave now... weird if that makes any sense to you guys.

The new one in the that took over the cave looks a little different from the rest. its head is more of a clear color than the others that look black. is this normal? 1 out of 6 like that?