Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Planning a vacation... what to do? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/planning-vacation-what-do-135761/)

DragonFyre14 03-23-2013 09:21 PM

Planning a vacation... what to do?

So, spring break is coming up here soon!! My family and I have already decided we would be going to Maryland for the week. And, while researching a bit on the TV fish tank I'm planning on making, I realized my fish will be here for a week without food. So, I figured I'd come and ask if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do while I'm gone? I have some 7 day slow release food tablets for my adult guppies and gourami, I could probably go get some for my betta although it sounds like he would be fine without being fed for the week (although he would definitely be very angry with me and I may come back to chewed up tail. crossing my fingers that won't happen though). I guess I'm most worried about my guppy fry. They have to eat more than the others and I'm not really sure what to do with them. I currently have 5 in a breeder net (too small to go into the 10 gallon with the older fry at the moment) I could place them in my 2.5 gallon heated hospital tank I guess...
There is a chance I might have a friend who could come check in on the fish but she's not really a fish person and I'm not sure I really trust her to feed the fish properly. That's why I'm hoping to be able to find a way in which I won't need to have her feed them.
Wow. Sorry for the novel there :P anyway, all help much appreciated.

MoneyMitch 03-23-2013 09:24 PM

for the friend that isnt really a fish person i would do this, take a napkin or even plastic baggies and seperate out what you would feed the fish each day. and just have everything divied out day by day for her to take all the guees work out of it. make sure bags are labled too!

DragonFyre14 03-23-2013 09:36 PM

I was actually just thinking about that! I know last time we were gone for a few days and asked her to feed all our animals, I showed her how to feed each of the tanks but I remember coming home to some grumpy fish that were a bit hungry and some who were chubbier than usual. If I turn down the temperature in the tank a bit and slow down the frequency of feedings would that slow down their metabolism and make it safer for them to not be fed except for once or twice?

I am not to worried about the bigger of my fry (as none of them are particularly my favorite and I plan to give them to another friend once they are a bit bigger anyway) but I do have four little ones that I am really attached to. (they came from two rather gorgeous mothers one of which was a female lyretail. neither mom is with me so I'm hoping at least one of these will turn out to be little carbon copies of their mothers.)

MoneyMitch 03-23-2013 10:05 PM

you brought up the fry needed fed more then usuall, i would just stcik with dosing out feedings instead of messing with the system.

DragonFyre14 03-23-2013 11:21 PM

Okay. Just figured I'd explore my options in case we can't get her to come feed our pets. Thanks for the help.
Posted via Mobile Device

jaysee 03-23-2013 11:28 PM

The fish will be just fine without being fed - and in many cases better off. Small fry probably won't make it, but that's the "great" thing about live bearers..... There WILL be more.

DragonFyre14 03-23-2013 11:33 PM

Yeah. That's what I'm kind of worried about. Most if the fry are big enough that it shouldn't be a problem for them. However I have four that I'd really like to grow up (there mothers died and I'm hoping one of them will be able to take their place but we'll see). I was thinking if maybe moving them to the 2.5 gallon and placing an algae wafer in there for them to eat. Would that work for a bit or would that foul up the water too much?
Posted via Mobile Device