Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Rust color algea taking over!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/rust-color-algea-taking-over-135657/)

scott1234 03-23-2013 05:37 PM

Rust color algea taking over!!

Hello again! Still new to this forum, so not sure this is the right area to post this. I have a 55 gallon, just completed cycling. Lately theres been rust color algea starting to form everywhere(sorry no pics,camera broke) It is like a thin film has been painted on. It has formed mostly on my lava rocks and river rocks, on a couple of my anubias and even some fake plants and decor and filter intake. Funny though, not a single spot on any glass and very little on the natural gravel. I have looked through this site, so far all I found was on brown algea, just does not look brown to me, more reddish, just like rust. Not hairy, fluffy or stringy. Has anyone encountered this or knows what it is? And what can be done about it? I have wiped it off, but it just reappears a day or two later. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!! Tank cycle ended last Tuesday, started to notice it a week to 10 days ago. 55 gal. W/2 T8 15 watt standard flo. (on 12hrs., off 12 hrs.) Temp. 77F, PH 7.8-8.0, GH 300, KH 80, ammonia 0, nitrites 0(feels great to finally see those 0 readings) nitrates 20-30ppm(in my tap also, currently seeking alternate water source) Thank you in advance for any help that can be provided.

ZivaD 03-23-2013 05:50 PM

Take a look at "diatoms in aquarium" on google images and see if that looks like what you have going on....

Tazman 03-23-2013 06:08 PM

Agree that it could well be diatoms. They are not harmful, can go as soon as they arrived and can easily usually be wiped off decorations.

Try reducing the light period to 8-10 hours, 12 hours is a little long.

MoneyMitch 03-23-2013 06:16 PM

agree with other responses here possible diatoms, common in new system. to help with the tap nitrates get some prime by seachem, many swear by it will detoxify nitrates and ammonia for 24-48hrs while your BB can eliminate it.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! =D

scott1234 03-23-2013 06:46 PM

Update on rust color algea taking over.

First off, thanks a million to ZivaD, Tazman and MoneyMitch. You were right, they are Diatoms. I googled it and thats exactly what they are. The site recommended that it is the perfect time to add a clean-up crew, since I was planning to add some friends to my tiger barbs. Thanks again to everyone, this forum is always so helpful and so willing to share their knowledge:-D. This has become my nightly reading material!!!:-D:-D:-D

MoneyMitch 03-23-2013 08:02 PM

might wanna really do your homework on finind a cleaning crew for the diatoms, most algae eating species are very picky and specific to what they eat

boxercrazy156 03-23-2013 08:48 PM

Diatoms usually go away on their own

Tazman 03-23-2013 08:55 PM

Agree there is no need to get a cleaning crew for diatoms.
Diatoms can literally disappear overnight, most of the "algae" eaters dont even eat algae at least, only a certain type of algae. Adding extra fish takes you making sure they are compatible with your stock and whether your filter can handle the bioload.

MoneyMitch 03-23-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxercrazy156 (Post 1524337)
Diatoms usually go away on their own

usually just as fast as they appear too