Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cleaning Used Tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cleaning-used-tank-13563/)

bluesteel 04-06-2008 02:08 PM

Cleaning Used Tank?

What should I use to clean this tank from a stain? I've cleaned my tank with bleach, vinegar, baking soda, CLR, and comet. It looks like a hard water stain, that's on the outside of the tank. When you run your fingers over it, or a sponge, it feels rough and not smooth like the glass. It's a stain that's 'cloudy' and whitish/faint yellow in color. This tank used to be a home for african cichlids, if that helps any.
Should I try an abrasive cleaner? Some strong chemicals? (I can rinse out the tank later, it has not been set up yet...)
Thanks for your responses!

DragonGoby 04-06-2008 03:25 PM

You say it is on the outside of the tank, so should be ok to try things on it.. so long as you're careful. Even the best clean up after may not get rid of all traces of harmful substances.
Sounds like limescale to me. Which normally builds up over time as it is baked on by the light. Have you tried any cleaners specifically for tanks? As I would have thought that limescale is quite a common cleaning problem for tanks. Tank cleaning fluid should be good for the job.
Failing that, maybe try some limescale powder / tablet (used in washing machines) mixed with some warm water... ? Try not to use abrasives if you can help it.
Hope this helps..

bluesteel 04-06-2008 03:58 PM

thanks for the quick reply! i've tried going to several pet stores around the area, and they didn't have anything unfortunately. are there any particular products you would suggest, aside for any tank cleaning product specifically designed for limescale?
time to hunt online. thanks! :D

Mating Slinkys 04-06-2008 04:48 PM

How "crunchy" is the stain, if you know what i mean. Is it really cemented on, or kinda crumbly? One method i used to get some of the rougher stains off an old tank my brother was setting up was to get an old style razor blade (mind your fingers kiddies!) lay it flat against the glass and kinda saw ithe stain away from the glass.

Depends on whether you think this will scratch the glass or just not work. I've often found that crusty stains respond better to chemical attack if you can at leat get some off with a knife, breaking up the patina that's developed on top. If a razor proves too fragile then any flat blade that you can rest against the glass will do, but again make sure that you are not just gouging scratches into your glass...

Hope that helped!

bluesteel 04-06-2008 06:18 PM

I just tried the razor blade trick, and it worked up to an extent. A very small percentage came off, but a lot of it is stuck on firm. It's not very crumbly at all, much more cemented on.

okiemavis 04-06-2008 07:21 PM

I think you may have to soak it in a solvent to soften it up, then you can try the razor blade thing again. That's the only thing I can think of, as the razor blade thing has always worked for me.

Trish 04-06-2008 07:34 PM

You could try very hot water with vinegar... We have an enormous amount of lime in our water and hot vinegar water seems to be the most effective.

Busgod 04-06-2008 11:17 PM

tripple 000 steel wool soaked in salted water , DO NOT rub too hard just hard enough to clean!