Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Guppy Drop Size (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/guppy-drop-size-13537/)

Steve N 04-05-2008 02:57 PM

Guppy Drop Size

I just got back into fish, and have only fish store guppies.

How many fry does a female usually drop at a time? I have several females who are pregnant, but they don't appear close to dropping. However, ever 3-5 days, I'll see a few (2-3) new fry in the tank. I did put one female who looked close to dropping into a breeder, and she dropped 4 fry within 18 hours, but that's all. That was 3 days ago. I freed her into the tank about 24 hours after her drop, and this morning I saw one fry hanging out in the main tank. It looked to be about 2-3 days old, same as the ones dropped into the breeder.

I thought they usually dropped 15-20 at a time, or am I mistaken?

okiemavis 04-05-2008 03:36 PM

Hello, it really depends on the age of the guppy. A young guppy in one of her first pregnancies may only drop 20 fry, but a mature guppy who has given birth many times before will easily drop 50+ fry.

Steve N 04-05-2008 05:01 PM

That's kind of opposite of what I thought. I was thinking the older they get, the less they drop. Of course, I have no idea of the age of these fish. They may not have been hit real well either, or they were hit but are running out of sperm.

Does a female mate with only one male at a time, or does she mate with multiple males? (Assuming there is more than one male in the tank.)

Anflex 04-07-2008 03:55 AM

It is important to remember that nine times out of ten female fish don't 'mate' with any male fish out of choice... the males just harass them! lol So in answer to your question Steve, a female guppy will be 'mated' with by any male that harasses her long enough.

Also remember that the number of fry you find is not nesseceraly the number that was laid as the mother fish can and sometimes do eat their own young.

So if you find 4 fry in your tank, there is a chance that there could have been a few/lot more.

jr.masterbreeder 04-14-2008 10:32 AM

In my experiences i've had around 80 at one time. I dont use a breeders net to save the fry. I just let nature take its course.

Steve N 04-29-2008 05:00 PM

I put a 1/2 Black Red female in my 10 gal berthing tank 4 days ago. After 48 hours she dropped 3 fry in about 2 hours, then nothing, but still pretty big, with a dark gravid spot. I kept her in the berthing tank for another 48 hours, then put her back into her display tank with the male 1/2 Black Red.

2 days ago I put a Red Delta female into the same berthing tank, and today she dropped 20 fry and looks spent. I'll keep her there another 24 hours, then put her back into her display tank with the Red Delta males.

Still haven't figured out why some of these females drop all at once, and others dribble out 2-3 at a time over the course of many days.

willow 04-30-2008 04:19 PM

hi
i've had the same thing with some of my female guppys and
including platys.
IMHO i woudn't move them around as this can unduley stress
the females and they have been known to abort before the fry are ready.
other fish will eat whatever they can,and yummy fry
will be on the menu.you can provide floating plants,and
dense areas of either real or silk plants for the babies to hide.
unless you particulary want loads of livebarers you can just
let nature take its course and let the strongest survive.