Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Longnose butterfly and Red General (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/longnose-butterfly-red-general-13518/)

melo 04-04-2008 11:14 PM

Longnose butterfly and Red General

So I purchased a longnose the other day and then the next morning I fed my red general some krill and left for school, when I got home I had found that a piece of my starfish was missing. Will this grow back and was the longnose nipping it to get the krill? My other cc is untouched and I am wondering if it is because I didn't feed him. So does anyone know what i should do and is my starfish going to be ok, will he die from a cut like that? the wound is in the groove between two arms.

Dave66 04-05-2008 12:46 AM

Re: Longnose butterfly and Red General

Quote:

Originally Posted by melo
So I purchased a longnose the other day and then the next morning I fed my red general some krill and left for school, when I got home I had found that a piece of my starfish was missing. Will this grow back and was the longnose nipping it to get the krill? My other cc is untouched and I am wondering if it is because I didn't feed him. So does anyone know what i should do and is my starfish going to be ok, will he die from a cut like that? the wound is in the groove between two arms.

Melo,
The star will be fine. They can regenerate missing arms and pieces of their disc no problem. And long-nosed butterfly fish don't eat starfish; micro-crustaceans and various zooplankton are what it eats, but to get him to start eating, use live adult, enriched brine shrimp. You can follow by adding frozen mysis shrimp to the menu. Mixing a few frozen with the live shrimp will wean him off the live food. You should try different frozen foods and high-quality pellets to see what all he will eat. The more varied foods he'll take the better off he'll be.

Dave

melo 04-05-2008 03:33 PM

Well today my red general was dead with several areas where he had been picked, I really wish my lfs wouldn't have lied and said that the longnose was compatible with the red general because I like him much better, but I guess that's how you learn. Anyone know why the longnose did not attack the chocolate chip, yet continuosly attacked the red general?

bettababy 04-07-2008 04:48 PM

Longnose butterflies are very difficult to get to feed and to keep healthy.
They are very fussy eaters and in the wild thrive primarily on corals and sponges. It is for this reason they are considered a very difficult fish to keep.

How big is your tank?

Has anyone warned you that chocolate chip starfish will eat fish if they have the opportunity? They are one of a handful of starfish that are carninvorous.

Pasfur 04-07-2008 08:26 PM

Your LFS did not lie. They gave you the best possible advise based on their experience and the experience of other hobbyists. Sometimes fish behavior is unpredictable, and in saltwater aquariums this happens even more frequently. To help prevent this problem, never buy fish which are pushing the limits of your aquarium size or your experience. I don't know your tank size, but i would not suggest a Long Nose Butterfly for anyone with an aquarium smaller than 75 gallons, or for anyone with less than several years experience in the marine hobby.

bettababy 04-07-2008 08:44 PM

It's not the butterfly that the red general isn't compatible with.... it's the chocolate chip starfish. It is highly possible that the choc chip did the damage. They can be ruthless when they find an opportunity at live food!

melo 04-07-2008 09:25 PM

My tank is 80 gallons and the longnose actually has been a voracious eater which i was pleased with. yes I do know that cc are carnivorous but its the fact that I saw the longnose do all the damage to the red general. The cc has not eaten anything in my tank but the krill i give him. I did not know that longnose are difficult to care for though, I 'm not too experienced but he's doing great so far. I'm just so pissed the longnose killed my favorite thing in the tank :x

bettababy 04-08-2008 12:52 AM

There could be any number of reasons for it, but fish are not all that different from people when it comes to having individual personalities. It is not typical for a butterfly of any species to bother a starfish... sometimes we have to live and learn.

Also, please remember that a lot happens in that tank when you're not watching it, especially at night. A large part of reef animals are nocturnal, so when the lights go off and you go to bed, they are just getting started.

It is possible that damage could have been done during the night, or that something completely unrelated was wrong with the starfish. When an animal dies or starts to die, it's normal to see others picking at it.
Turbo snails don't eat fish, but if a fish gets sick and lays on the bottom, or dies... the turbo is right there with everything else feeding on it.

Those particular starfish are not one of the hardiest species, either. Many come in with issues that aren't apparent right away. Some starfish are very sensitive to stress, and just moving them can kill them... and its a slow death.

You're lucky to have a butterfly who's not so picky about feeding. That also is not "average" for them. How much live rock is in the tank? If animals don't have enough suitable shelter, they can become vulnerable to bullys. If rock is spaced too far apart, moving from one end or section to another would also leave them vulnerable to bullys and predators.

Can you post a picture of your tank?

melo 04-08-2008 11:19 PM

ok thanks it makes sense that maybe the starfish was already dying and the butterfly just finished it. There is 45 pounds of live rock and it is an 80 gallon FOWLR. Yes I can post a picture

melo 04-08-2008 11:38 PM

http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/5811_IMG_3910_1.jpg