Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   10g stocking... something different (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/10g-stocking-something-different-13509/)

beetlebz 04-04-2008 07:40 PM

10g stocking... something different

SO... ive got another 10g tank thats MOST LIKELY going to sit on the corner of my desk, maybe not. I might get one more 10g and... thats not important now lol

anyway ive been on the forums enough to know what can and cant go in a 10g tank.. but this guy is prolly going on my desk and I spend at least an hour or two a night out here on my PC. What I want is a fish or a school of fish and other assorted occupants that

1) actually enjoys being somewhat active in a 10g (so they can play and have a good time seeing as they will spend ALOT of time alone)

2) has personality, something that would make an entertaining companion like my severums, in a 10g size.

I was thinking maybe just getting a male betta or a few CPDs but Im looking for people with personal experiences with different fish. What makes a good pet fish?

bf2king 04-04-2008 07:45 PM

planning on planting it heavily?

Oldman47 04-04-2008 07:45 PM

My personal favorites are endlers. They are very active in a tank hat size and you could keep maybe 15 of them in there but no need to buy that many. In addition to being active to the point of ridiculous, they are also prolific. I really like these guys and they are great in a species tank.

beetlebz 04-05-2008 11:45 AM

aye I thought about that ghreed. Id have to order them online though, im guessing. I doubt any of my LFS' will be able to get them. And then, what do I do when the population booms?

and yeah bf2k, id stuff it chock full of fake plants. Not live plants, but it would still be heavily planted

Cody 04-05-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beetlebz
aye I thought about that ghreed. Id have to order them online though, im guessing. I doubt any of my LFS' will be able to get them. And then, what do I do when the population booms?

and yeah bf2k, id stuff it chock full of fake plants. Not live plants, but it would still be heavily planted

If you get a ton of babies, you could try selling them to your LFS's. Since they are a rare fish, they should take them.

And about getting them out of the tank, I would go for the water-bottle trick (bottle top cut off and funneled into rest of bottle). Place it kind of hidden so the babies take refuge, and try to have it a bit smaller so no larger fish will venture in. Place some food in there that the babies like/are fed.

gymnothorax 04-05-2008 02:02 PM

more often than not your lfs should be able to order endlers, many just choose not to stock them b/c there is often a high mortality rate when they are introduced into to a system in large quantities. I know they are commonly available at my shop, we just choose not to order any unless requested b/c they don't last very long unless we were to set up a seperate tank for them off of our main freshwater system : )

okiemavis 04-05-2008 02:57 PM

I've noticed them on aquabid as well, you might be able to find some cool ones there.

Also, have you thought about puffers? I'm setting up a 10G tank for a red-eye puffer right now. They're definitely active, interesting creatures, and they'll learn to recognize you which makes them more interactive than some fish.

bf2king 04-05-2008 03:55 PM

i was going to sujest 3 dwarf puffers lol

okiemavis 04-05-2008 04:16 PM

That's what I was going to do until a friend offered me his red-eye, they're very cool. This one was in a heavily planted with 2 females and he killed both of them. He was also kept with a young pike, and did just fine lol, so he's pretty psychotic. South American Pufferfish are supposed to be the extremely active, and the least aggressive (some people keep them in community tanks), but their teeth grow fast and they need to be sedated and clipped every few months, so it's a little more effort than I feel I want to put out. Very cool fish if you can make the commitment though.

willow 04-12-2008 04:59 AM

hay bbz,have you made a decision yet ?
i like the endlers,mine were only male ones for some reason,
the dwarf puffers are fun,always on the move,and cute too. :)