Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Another 5 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/another-5-gallon-tank-13506/)

fishowner 04-04-2008 04:13 PM

Another 5 gallon tank

Hi Folks,
Im thinking of getting a small 5 gallon tank for my study room. I want the tank to be a nice small size and want the tank to be interesting. However I have no idea of what fish I could or will stock in the tank. I have an existing tank that is 85 litres with mollies,tetras,guppies and bronze catfish.....so for the 5 gallon tank Im not sure. Ive heard a few people suggest keeping a Siamese Fighter but Im not overly sure to go this route.Id be somewhat limited to what else I could put in the tank beyond shrimp...Id welcom all suggestions.thanks.

bruce53176 04-04-2008 04:47 PM

A good rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon of water.

I would say it all depends on how much activity you want in the tank, one betta is not going to be that active but if you go with a schooling fish like cardinal tetras or rasboras then there would be constan movement in the tank.

Another idea is that you could get a paired up set of blue rams there an active fish with beautiful colors, and they only get to be about 1.5-2" long.

Cody 04-04-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce53176
A good rule of thumb is 1" of fish per gallon of water.

I would say it all depends on how much activity you want in the tank, one betta is not going to be that active but if you go with a schooling fish like cardinal tetras or rasboras then there would be constan movement in the tank.

Another idea is that you could get a paired up set of blue rams there an active fish with beautiful colors, and they only get to be about 1.5-2" long.

The 1" of fish per gallon rule means nothing. Can you put a 14" Oscar in a 14 gallon tank? You need to take it territory, bio-load, free-swimming space and aggresion.

Cardinal Tetras need more room than a 5G tank. You can get 5 Micro Rasboras, or possibly 5 Endler's Livebearers. You could also get 1 or 2 Dwarf Puffers if you have a heavily planted tank. Maybe even a pair of Sparkling Gouramis. Shrimp and snails will also be interesting.

Blue Rams should be in at least a 20G tank, and they have the potential of reaching 4", but most stay around 3-3.5".

Flashygrrl 04-04-2008 06:12 PM

Is there like, a sale on 5 gallons or something??? :)

There's another posting floating around in General authored by Cody...you ought to read that one cuz it gives some good ideas

Cody 04-04-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashygrrl
Is there like, a sale on 5 gallons or something??? :)

There's another posting floating around in General authored by Cody...you ought to read that one cuz it gives some good ideas

Well, I've had my 5. :)

Yes, I agree to look at my thread. Herefishy has made some excellent suggestions that I plan on to follow on (once I get my filter and light...).