Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Terra cotta decorations (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/terra-cotta-decorations-13476/)

jmelissa82 04-03-2008 04:52 PM

Terra cotta decorations

Hi i am very very new to the fish world, and new to this site as of last night.Last night I browsed theru some pics and noticed a few peol have put terra cotta planters in their tank. It makes a really nice touch of color and I was wanting to do the same thing. I was wandering how u go about it,.. do u scrub it first, have to soak it? Is it best to put te whole thing in there or break it??? I want to make sure everyone in my tank will be safe....any advice??

Cody 04-03-2008 06:08 PM

Re: Terra cotta decorations

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmelissa82
Hi i am very very new to the fish world, and new to this site as of last night.Last night I browsed theru some pics and noticed a few peol have put terra cotta planters in their tank. It makes a really nice touch of color and I was wanting to do the same thing. I was wandering how u go about it,.. do u scrub it first, have to soak it? Is it best to put te whole thing in there or break it??? I want to make sure everyone in my tank will be safe....any advice??

Boiling the pot or pouring very hot water water over it for a (5-10) should work. A good scrub afterwards would help as well (make sure to not use soap).

You can break it or put it in whole; whatever you prefer. If you break it, be sure there are no sharp edges that could harm your fish.

jmelissa82 04-03-2008 06:32 PM

thank you, will do!

Holly 04-03-2008 09:18 PM

There's several ways to break the pot if that's what you want to do. The easiest was to use a flat head screw driver and a mallet. Just go easy of you'll do like I did and completely smash the first few pots!! LOL

fish_4_all 04-04-2008 01:02 AM

Make sure to use fresh clean pots. Anything that has had soil or plantys in it may have chemicals and ferts in them that may cause serious problems.

As for cutting them, A dremel will work well to cut it in the shape you want and then you can finess hit it to try and break it on a line. Scoring it will also help to get a "straight" break but nothing is certain when dealing with it. The good thing is any shards or "disasters" can be used to make other formations and decorate the tank.

jmelissa82 04-04-2008 03:31 AM

Great thanks, but I don't know what a dremel is,lol! I just saw another pic where someone had the pots in there tank, but it was a poor pic so I couldn't tell what was going on. I am hearing alot of people mention making caves??? So now I am getting jealous,lol. All of this sounds really great but I have no idea where to start. I am putting these in a 20 gal. tall tank, idk if that matters or not.

herefishy 04-04-2008 06:45 AM

No need to boil the pot as Cody suggests. Boiling could actually ruin the pot. Water would penetrate the fired pot and destroy it.

All have given excellent ideas. I have tried every method. Tried breaking it with a hammer, didn't work real well. I ended up with a 'humpty dumpty" looking piece(s). Scoring with a nail or other sharp object does help, though. The best method I have found is using a Dremel and the cutting wheel that come with the kit. Rather messy, but this method is more controlled and gives a more exact cut. I would suggest doing it outside, though. Dust goes everywhere. It is great for making caves.

jeaninel 04-04-2008 11:41 AM

I put a terra cotta pot in my 10 gallon for my ADFs. I didn't break it, I just put the whole pot in on it's side and kind of half buried it in the sand.

jmelissa82 04-04-2008 12:41 PM

Yes thats what I was thinking of doing. It would make a nice enough addition and hide wawy. I have no idea wat a dremel is that everyone keeps talking about so this would be my best bet. Althouth breaking it and making a cave from scrach would have looked really nice!

SST 04-04-2008 06:41 PM

I found a small one the size I wanted and just tipped it over on it's side. Perfect for Mr. Snail who loves to hang out upside down. Perfect place to collect snail poop, too. LOL Makes tank cleaning easier.