Tropical Fish Keeping banner

How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?

13K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  jentralala 
#1 ·
How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?

#3 ·
It takes several months for a fish to starve to death.

#5 ·
Nawh, fish are cold blooded, so their systems work a little different than ours. They need a lot less energy since they don't have to heat themselves (mammals and birds spend a ridiculous amount of energy keeping themselves warm).

#8 ·
That is correct. Cold blooded animals do not burn calories maintaining their body temperature, and so they use considerably less calories.

Nuttawet - I'm not exactly sure what to make of your post.... Sounds like you've killed 20 dwarf gouramis because you refused to provide them with a proper diet?? How did you determine that they died from dietary deficiency?

#6 ·
I'm not sure. My dwarf doesn't seem to eat too much. Of course he does have to fend off some hungry guppies in order to get food.... Either way he seems to be thriving. I agree I find it hard to believe that he died after one day of no food (meaning it was most likely a coincidence)

#12 ·
Ummm...i'm really confused as what to make of this post lol.

For one, I feed my fish every other day. They are fat, healthy and fine.

Fishes tummy being swelled isnt a sign of good eating, its a sign of parasites or dropsy.

20 dwarf guaramis? In one tank? You didn't have them with your Pacu did you?

#13 ·
Using controlled fasting is actually quite common in fishkeeping, OP, used by aquarists with years of experience and who have been quite successful not only as hobbyists but as professionals in working with the fish they keep. One day without feeding is not adequate, in and of itself, to cause death -- three days without feeding is not adequate, in and of itself, to cause death. In fact, the use of such fasting can create better health, not worse.

#15 ·
I thought the high protein content in bloodworms was their problem for being used as a staple, and why they're used as treats. I've also heard that they can cause constipation because of the high protein content.

I don't have first hand experience with DGs but my Pearls did just fine with a 2 day fast each week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.