Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/how-much-does-dwarf-gourami-eat-134705/)

Nuttawet 03-22-2013 05:37 AM

How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?
 
How much does dwarf gourami eat? I didn't feed it 1 day and they die... why is that?

redchigh 03-22-2013 06:09 AM

It wasn't the lack of food, only a coincidence. I've gone 3 days without feeding mine before.

We need more information.

Tank size? Age? Any other fish?

jaysee 03-22-2013 06:54 AM

It takes several months for a fish to starve to death.

Nuttawet 03-22-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 1508881)
It wasn't the lack of food, only a coincidence. I've gone 3 days without feeding mine before.

We need more information.

Tank size? Age? Any other fish?

3 days without feeding if you do that often the dwarf gourami will die.

Olympia 03-22-2013 08:40 PM

Nawh, fish are cold blooded, so their systems work a little different than ours. They need a lot less energy since they don't have to heat themselves (mammals and birds spend a ridiculous amount of energy keeping themselves warm).

DragonFyre14 03-22-2013 08:42 PM

I'm not sure. My dwarf doesn't seem to eat too much. Of course he does have to fend off some hungry guppies in order to get food.... Either way he seems to be thriving. I agree I find it hard to believe that he died after one day of no food (meaning it was most likely a coincidence)

Nuttawet 03-22-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuttawet (Post 1513905)
3 days without feeding if you do that often the dwarf gourami will die.

That is my experience. I have gotten about 20 dwarf gouramis count together in my life and all of them die from Dietary Deficiency now i have 5 and they do okay now.

Tip is: Feed dwarf gourami everyday!

jaysee 03-22-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympia (Post 1513921)
Nawh, fish are cold blooded, so their systems work a little different than ours. They need a lot less energy since they don't have to heat themselves (mammals and birds spend a ridiculous amount of energy keeping themselves warm).

That is correct. Cold blooded animals do not burn calories maintaining their body temperature, and so they use considerably less calories.


Nuttawet - I'm not exactly sure what to make of your post.... Sounds like you've killed 20 dwarf gouramis because you refused to provide them with a proper diet?? How did you determine that they died from dietary deficiency?

Nuttawet 03-22-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 1515777)
That is correct. Cold blooded animals do not burn calories maintaining their body temperature, and so they use considerably less calories.


Nuttawet - I'm not exactly sure what to make of your post.... Sounds like you've killed 20 dwarf gouramis because you refused to provide them with a proper diet?? How did you determine that they died from dietary deficiency?

Look at their stomach if it is not swell.... I fed alot of bloodworms and they eat all in 10 minutes if i don't feed they die....

jaysee 03-22-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuttawet (Post 1514057)
That is my experience. I have gotten about 20 dwarf gouramis count together in my life and all of them die from Dietary Deficiency now i have 5 and they do okay now.

So I have it right - You have killed 20 dwarf gouramis because you refused to provide them a proper diet?

Seems to me that you've either had THE WORST luck keeping DGs, or you shouldn't be keeping DGs. In any case, your experience is far from the norm, especially considering your track record. While your fish might perpetually be a few meals away from death, that's not how normal fish live.

You cannot determine a dietary deficiency by simply looking at the stomach. A swollen stomach is not any better of a sign of good health than a concave stomach.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2