Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   New to hobby and needing compatibility help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/new-hobby-needing-compatibility-help-13445/)

Zambize 04-02-2008 02:36 PM

New to hobby and needing compatibility help

I'm very new. I have a 28 gallon tank, 2 Penguin 150's, a Marineland heater set to 78-79, medium to small dark substrate, fairly densely planted with soft artificial plants. I have the following:

5 happy guppies
5 happy black neon tetras
2 active male swordtails

I got bad advice at PetsMart when I got the 2 male Swordtails. The larger bullies the smaller, but so far it seems harmless, there is no damage and it isn't constant.

I'd like to keep a calm, beginner's tank. I seriously don't want any babies. I heard that Mollies or Platys would be compatible with everyone, but especially for the Swordtails because they are in the same family and that the addition of about 4 mixed girls might interest the Swordtail boys enough to mostly ignore each other. I also thought about not mixing with the Swordtails any further and maybe just adding a single male or female Gourami. I don't want any cats at this point.

Recommendations?

Thank you very much

Zambize

fish_4_all 04-02-2008 02:42 PM

IF you get female platties they will breed with the male swords. If you do not want babies then not a good idea. Mollies can be really aggressive and get large.
For a more active tank, a larger group of black tetras would help them feel comfortable as they school together.

Tetras, danios, rasboras are all fairly peaceful fish and might make good additions. With the fish you have, the eggs that they lay will likely be eaten so you don't have to worry about having too many if any babies.

Zambize 04-02-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish_4_all
IF you get female platties they will breed with the male swords. If you do not want babies then not a good idea. Mollies can be really aggressive and get large.
For a more active tank, a larger group of black tetras would help them feel comfortable as they school together.

Tetras, danios, rasboras are all fairly peaceful fish and might make good additions. With the fish you have, the eggs that they lay will likely be eaten so you don't have to worry about having too many if any babies.

I like all three fish you recommend, especially the Rasboras. I was hoping for some larger fish to balance my tank between my 10 smaller Guppies and Black Neons and my 2 larger Swords. Is that reasonable/doable?

Thank you,
Zambize

fish_4_all 04-02-2008 03:17 PM

Bigger fish huh. Some Danios get larger, 2-3 inches, I think they are Zebras and leopards but I am sure there are others that are a little larger.

Hatchets might be an option but I am not sure about their temperment. Some of them can get a little larger but their body shape might make them look bigger compared to the streamline fish you have now.

Holly 04-02-2008 04:02 PM

If you have male and female guppies they will breed also.

prozak 04-02-2008 04:12 PM

first things first, if you have two male swords and no females, chances are, they will pick on each other. in the wild these thinkgs school with hundresd of fish where there are both males and females. males will pick on each other if there are no females

prozak 04-02-2008 04:14 PM

i should have mentioned, if you get one female with the males, she is going to get picked on and pushed around

basically, if you want livebearers and you dont want babies... it's not happening, unless you dont mind netting out the babies or removing all of the ornaments and plants in ur tank

southafrica1001 04-03-2008 07:26 AM

i had the same problem my older swordtail picked on my newer male even when there was females in the tank. i have read that they develop a pecking order, and even thought the other male died from unknown causes (not the other males wrong doing) the older male eventually left the other male alone. this happened with my females as well, you might want to give it a bit more time, i dont know though

Oldman47 04-03-2008 08:10 PM

If you want to expand your stock with a new kind of fish you might want to consider some cories. They will not add to the number of fish swimming around in the upper 2/3 of the tank. They will help fill it out by adding some action to the bottom levels.