Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Sick Betta Need Help (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/sick-betta-need-help-13431/)

rockharder85 04-01-2008 10:33 PM

Sick Betta Need Help

I am new to bettas so I tend to freak out when they do what I think are "strange" things. However, this time I think there is something really really wrong. Greg (the fish) has a very HUGE belly like he ate way way too much or is pregnant (which I know he isn't cause he's a male). Along with the huge belly he also doesn't swim around a lot just hangs out at the bottom of the tank or in his house and he doesn't come up for food which he used to "run" for when I opened the lid to the tank. What is wrong with my fish? Please help

Cody 04-01-2008 10:45 PM

Re: Sick Betta Need Help

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockharder85
I am new to bettas so I tend to freak out when they do what I think are "strange" things. However, this time I think there is something really really wrong. Greg (the fish) has a very HUGE belly like he ate way way too much or is pregnant (which I know he isn't cause he's a male). Along with the huge belly he also doesn't swim around a lot just hangs out at the bottom of the tank or in his house and he doesn't come up for food which he used to "run" for when I opened the lid to the tank. What is wrong with my fish? Please help

Tank size? Water Paramaters? Do you have a heater? Water changing schedule? When did you do your last change, and how much?

Sorry for all the questions, we just need to know these.

Also, is he pooping?

FlamingCod 04-01-2008 11:20 PM

I'd have to lean towards a pooping problem, perhaps an obsctruction. You haven't tried to apply a gentle
squeeze to the belly to dislodge the cause of it have you? Unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't
attempt...then again 'Greg' may die anyway. good luck!

King of Candlesticks 04-01-2008 11:25 PM

He may be constipated and if so I'd recommend thawing a frozen green pea, peeling it, mashing it up and feeding it to him. But first, like Cody said, Do you have a heater? what size tank? water parameters?

Good Luck!

Tony

rockharder85 04-02-2008 12:47 AM

Greg

Ok Greg is in a 10gallon divided tank giving him about 5gallons he shares with a small placastomus. He does have a heater that is on the far side of the tank. I have no idea if he is pooping or not cause the sucker fish poops more than any fish I have ever seen. As to water conditions I'm not sure what you mean so i'll just ramble about what I do know and that might help. The temp is about 80degrees which is what it has been at since I got Greg. I use TopFin Betta Water Conditioner which he has also had since he was placed in the tank. I changed it about a week ago before adding the placastomus. and no this didn't happen right after the placta was introduced and no the placta doesn't pick on Greg.

Flashygrrl 04-02-2008 06:23 AM

Sounds like the pleco is a common type and needs to find a new home ASAP, one around the 75 gallon size. As for your betta, I'd try the peas and don't feed him anything else until he eats one. Never ever try to "squeeze the poop out".