Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   When can i tell the sex of my guppy babies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/when-can-i-tell-sex-my-134290/)

hallie56 03-21-2013 04:34 PM

When can i tell the sex of my guppy babies?

Hello again, I am still learning. How long before I can tell the sex of my babies? I have approx. 30 new guppy fry... 3 are 1 month old, 11 were born day before yesterday and 16 today. I am having trouble telling on the month old ones.

fish keeper 2013 03-21-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hallie56 (Post 1503978)
Hello again, I am still learning. How long before I can tell the sex of my babies? I have approx. 30 new guppy fry... 3 are 1 month old, 11 were born day before yesterday and 16 today. I am having trouble telling on the month old ones.

Wow! How did you manage to count them? :-D

Guppies are mostly distiguishable by their color. Males are much more colorful and have more flowing tails. Females are also slightly larger. If they haven't developed color yet than you can tell by the gonpodium fin that males have. Also, females and males in the same tank will result in a pregnant female as soon as she is mature. They will develop a dark gravid spot.

Source:

Poecilia reticulata - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

fish keeper 2013 03-21-2013 08:41 PM

Huh that was supposed to be a link to the page...

Oh well :lol:

hallie56 03-21-2013 09:23 PM

fishkeeper... that is why I want to separate the girls from the boys..... as they are just a few days old they don't have color yet.... *S*

ZivaD 03-22-2013 10:55 AM

Anal fin and color development is often noticed after it's a bit too late due to the size of those little fins and the timing with which the differences start to show. However, as you gain experience you will start to see the development earlier and earlier (fin develpment can be noted as early as 3-4 weeks)
Here is a bit on how to do it if you REALLY want to know as early as possible - but it's a bit involved:
Quote:

First, you will need a two-gallon aquarium and a piece of black cardboard that can cover the back of the aquarium. Cut a hole about 1/2 inch in the center of the cardboard and place it on the back of the aquarium. Place a small lamp with a frosted 100-watt bulb directly behind the hole. Using the water from the aquarium containing the new fry, fill the two-gallon tank. Carefully remove two or three fry from the tank and put them in the sexing tank. Wait until early evening when the sun is dim, and using a magnifying glass, observe the guppy as it swims through the beam of light. Under these specialized conditions, the gravid spot of the females can be detected. Males will not have this spot. Segregate the males and
females.

This method can be modified a bit to fit what you have available but the general process willl be the same. As you get more experienced it will become easier to start differentiating the sexes earlier and earlier to allow you to segregate the genders and allow for maximum growth and development before breeding begins and so that you can selectively breed if that is your wish. Another option is to use a small glass container (ie babyfood jar) in which you can place a single fry at a time, examime carefully for gravid spot or possible gonopodium development and sort accordingly placing the "sures" in separate containers and the "not sures" back into the main fry tank for a re-check a few days later

hallie56 03-22-2013 04:52 PM

Thank you zivaD... I am looking forward to seeing how many males to females I have now.. *G* .... I don't need 500 fry *S* so separating them I will be doing as soon as I can tell. If I am not sure I will place them in another tank. keeping them separate till I know for sure.