Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   10 Gallon Question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/10-gallon-question-13374/)

kdharvey 03-30-2008 02:22 PM

10 Gallon Question

I have a 10 gallon tank with a Dwarf Gourami and 4 pygmy corys. I want to add either 2 more pygmy corys and 6 neon tetras or 2 pymy corys and 2 dwarf frogs (Since I've read that both pygmy corys and tetras need at least 6 to be happy). My girlfriend wants the neon tetras but I'm worried that they will cause overcrowding. Will either or both of these set-ups be ok? Any advice appreciated!

Falina 03-30-2008 07:25 PM

I would think the neons would be ok. Both them and the pygmy cories have very small bioloads so won't push the tank too hard. Just keep up with your water changes and i think you'll be just fine. I wouldn't add both the frogs AND the neons though. But neons and the extra 2 cories shouldn't be a problem.

FlamingCod 04-01-2008 09:55 PM

I don't see why you can't add all of the above. It's always better to add too many fish and achieve a perfect
balance by having one or two of them dying off. If you have too few, then your girlfriend will be unhappy
and therefore you will be unhappy. Happiness is a full tank.

jeaninel 04-01-2008 10:01 PM

:shock:

Flashygrrl 04-02-2008 05:16 AM

Ummmm....WHAT????

:smoke:

Lupin 04-02-2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingCod
I don't see why you can't add all of the above. It's always better to add too many fish and achieve a perfect
balance by having one or two of them dying off. If you have too few, then your girlfriend will be unhappy
and therefore you will be unhappy. Happiness is a full tank.

So, in short, it is up to other people to choose without putting the well being of the fish into consideration? FlamingCod, by adding too many fish, not only are you putting the fish to risk of being stressed and eventually afflicted by several health issues, but you are wasting your time and money buying more fish because some of them wasted away. Do you realize how much money and time you can actually save if you simply try your best to keep what you have healthy and alive? It's very simple. Overcrowding, on the other hand, is another story and IMO frowned upon by several hobbyists unless he/she can put time and efforts to ensure the overcrowded environment is kept clean as much as possible.

Fishguy19 04-02-2008 05:31 PM

Yea.. I mean the only fish you want to slightly overstock is African cichlids, to reduce aggression in the tank. Always double your filtration, and try to do weekly water changes around 40%.

tophat665 04-03-2008 05:21 PM

Go with more cories. Pygmies like to be in groups of 10 plus.

I am not sure if I am correct, but I think a fully grown ADF might take a shot at eating a pygmy cory.

bruce53176 04-03-2008 06:15 PM

I would go with the neons in a group of six or more. As far as overcrowding, everyone with the exception of flamingcod is correct. Some people might consider my tank overcrowded with the number and size of fish I have but by doubling my filtering and doing weekly water changes my fish are very healthy, happy and vibrant.