Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   55 gallon stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/55-gallon-stocking-133689/)

Josh7 03-20-2013 02:15 PM

55 gallon stocking

I have my 55 gallon tank finally set up. I already cycled it and I have play sand as a substrate. I have 2 Marineland penguin 350s for filtration.

But no on to the stock list I already have one fish in it a senegal bichir. Also soon a brown knife fish I ordered will be coming in to.

But what else could I keep with these two? I was thinking some type of cichlid maybe kribenis or blue Acara? But does anyone have any suggestions of fish to keep with them thanks for all the input in advance.

jaysee 03-20-2013 02:38 PM

You could do an African community tank, but in my experience a 55 was too small - I upgraded.

Josh7 03-20-2013 02:49 PM

An African community tank would be cool could I do like the African cichlids with them like maybe electric yellow labs? Or what would you reccomend

JDM 03-20-2013 03:07 PM

Is a 55 large enough for a Bichir... don't they get over a foot long?

Cool fish though... "They are ambush predators and may stalk and prey on smaller fish."

Read more: Senegal Bichir (Polypterus senegalus) Profile

Actually, a 75 is recommended now that I read the profile.

Jeff.

Josh7 03-20-2013 03:11 PM

I saw that but I have heard anywhere from 30 gallon minimum to 125 minimum anyway IMO I think the 55 is gonna be fine since I have seen one senegal bichir over 12 inches long almost all of them max out at like 10 inches. They are a cool fish to this little guy is awesome. They sure do have some teeth though. But have any ideas of other fish that they could live with preferably a cichlid type fish.

jaysee 03-20-2013 03:11 PM

An African community would not have cichlids.

Josh7 03-20-2013 03:20 PM

Alright I was thinking about like the electric yellow cichlids and stuff like that. But what type of fish do you recommend do you for a African community. Also if any cichlids would work what type would you guys do maybe jewels or kribenis.

jaysee 03-20-2013 03:54 PM

African knife, spotted ctenopoma, African butterfly, feather fin catfish, congo tetras and a bichir (palmas, delhezi, Senegal). You could try kribs or jewels, but theres no guarantee that they will last long term. But like I said, a 55 was too small.

Josh7 03-20-2013 04:11 PM

Alright well thanks for the input there I might consider a African butterfly fish. Or something you listed.

Josh7 03-20-2013 05:39 PM

Just a thought here but could I put in any of these fish?

Silver dollar
Kribenis
Angelfish
Blue Acara
Fire Eel
Kissing Gourami
Electric yellow cichlid
Blue cobalt

Could any of these fish here work?