Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Proposed 50 Gallon Stocking (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/proposed-50-gallon-stocking-133585/)

LadyKeiva 03-20-2013 11:56 AM

Proposed 50 Gallon Stocking
 
Morning All,

Just looking for opinions on a proposed stocking for a 50 gallon tank (36 x 18 x 18). No final decisions yet, just some ideas we've been going over before we start buying or committing to anything.

After seeing my room FULL of planted aquariums, my boyfriend as decided that he wants a nice planted tank to call his own. He's been waiting to get into fish keeping for a while now. So the past few weeks we've been looking into fish and all that (with my guidance on water parameters and compatibility of course). We've come up with a couple fish he's interested in having in the tank.

Just some background:
-Water is soft, probably about 4 degrees, Ph around 6.8
-Biggest tank we can fit is a 50 gallon (originally decided on a 46 bow front, then moved to a 40 breeder, then ultimately decided on a 50 gallon)
-Plan on heavily planted, with plenty of caves/nooks. Lots of floating plants.
-Sand substrate

After our researched and fish hunting he's decided that he really likes the following fish:

- Apistogramma cacatuoides (Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid)
- Hyphessobrycon megalopterus (Black Phantom Tetra)
- Nannostomus mortenthaleri (Coral Red Pencilfish)
- Pangio semicincta (Kuhli Loach)
- Rineloricaria sp. L010a (Red Lizard Whiptail)

From what I've read they all SEEM to go together fine. But I can't help but be paranoid about missing something that would make them incompatible. Also not 100% sure of the stock numbers.

Was thinking along the lines of:

x 4 Apistos (1M/3F)(Harem)
x 12-15 Black Phantoms
x 10+ Coral Red Pencils (was reading it should at least half female?)
x 8+ Kuhli Loaches (Not sure what a good sized group for these is)
x 1-3 Red Whiptails (again, not sure how many is best)

That's about the gist of our plans, as stated, Not 100% on anything, just what we found he really liked, and what seemed to go together well. Any input or suggestion would be fantastic. =)

Thanks!!

Jessica

LadyKeiva 03-21-2013 08:44 PM

Anyone spot any issues with this composition before we decide to follow through?

Byron 03-21-2013 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No major problems in the proposed fish species, but I might suggest a couple things.

Sexing Nannostomus mortenthaleri at the small size often seen in the dealer's tank might be a bit trying, but going with a group of 9+ should sort this out regardless. I acquired 8 a couple years ago, and they have spawned many times, and some fry have even managed to survive. They need a very heavily-planted tank, and the more wood the better. The 33g pictured below is where mine reside. I have 7 largish chunks of wood, some reaching to the surface, in this tank. This is important because the fish will be wild caught (unless you have a local breeder) and their habitat is littered with branches and overhanging vegetation so quite dimly lit. Your mention of plants and wood is the way to go.

The whiptails are fine. I had three Farlowella vitatta in this tank, three fry from my other tank, but I think they may have starved from a lack of sufficient algae. The whiptails will be better from this perspective. I have three of the red lizard variety but they rarely socialize, so 1, 2 or 3 would work. They tend to lose most of the "red" as they mature.:-)

I might consider different tankmates than the red phantom. You will have some vivid red with the pencils, and other contrasting fish might be a better choice. Also, these like a cooler temperature [check the profile data]. Since you have ideal water, you can go with wild caught fish that would not be possible in many places; some suitable species might be Hyphessobrycon loretoensis, Hemigrammus bleheri, Hyphessobrycon metae. These are all South American, staying geographic; if that is not relevant, there are some of the rasbora species from SE Asia. I generally like geographic tanks.;-)

Byron.

LadyKeiva 03-21-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1505610)
No major problems in the proposed fish species, but I might suggest a couple things.

Sexing Nannostomus mortenthaleri at the small size often seen in the dealer's tank might be a bit trying, but going with a group of 9+ should sort this out regardless. I acquired 8 a couple years ago, and they have spawned many times, and some fry have even managed to survive. They need a very heavily-planted tank, and the more wood the better. The 33g pictured below is where mine reside. I have 7 largish chunks of wood, some reaching to the surface, in this tank. This is important because the fish will be wild caught (unless you have a local breeder) and their habitat is littered with branches and overhanging vegetation so quite dimly lit. Your mention of plants and wood is the way to go.

The whiptails are fine. I had three Farlowella vitatta in this tank, three fry from my other tank, but I think they may have starved from a lack of sufficient algae. The whiptails will be better from this perspective. I have three of the red lizard variety but they rarely socialize, so 1, 2 or 3 would work. They tend to lose most of the "red" as they mature.:-)

I might consider different tankmates than the red phantom. You will have some vivid red with the pencils, and other contrasting fish might be a better choice. Also, these like a cooler temperature [check the profile data]. Since you have ideal water, you can go with wild caught fish that would not be possible in many places; some suitable species might be Hyphessobrycon loretoensis, Hemigrammus bleheri, Hyphessobrycon metae. These are all South American, staying geographic; if that is not relevant, there are some of the rasbora species from SE Asia. I generally like geographic tanks.;-)

Byron.

Thanks again Byron, As always very informational and constructive. Also.. You have SUCH beautiful tanks. I hope that one day I can create one that can compare. They look so natural!!

Thanks for the tip with the Pencils. They will most likely be ordered off AquaBid due to lack of variety at most of my LFS, so I hope we end up with a good mix. And the tank will definitely be "jungle-esque" at least a good portion of the tank anyways.

Just a note ;-), I had mentioned the Black Phantom Tetra Hyphessobrycon megalopterus (I believe its the Black "widow" that are the nippy ones correct?). We fell in love with the black and red combo the phantoms and the pencils brought in. I'm aware that the reds are a cooler temp. fish =).

Byron 03-21-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKeiva (Post 1505754)
Thanks again Byron, As always very informational and constructive.

Thanks for the tip with the Pencils. They will most likely be ordered off AquaBid due to lack of variety at most of my LFS, so I hope we end up with a good mix. And the tank will definitely be "jungle-esque" at least a good portion of the tank anyways.

Just a note ;-), I had mentioned the Black Phantom Tetra Hyphessobrycon megalopterus (I believe its the Black "widow" that are the nippy ones correct?). We fell in love with the black and red combo the phantoms and the pencils brought in. I'm aware that the reds are a cooler temp. fish =).

Sorry, don't know why I thought red... anyway, the Black Phantom would work, a good sized group no less than 12 (as you said, good;-)). And determining male/female is easy, so get a mix of half male/female, or I would probably get more males, say 7/5 or 8/6-7, etc. Neat fish, I've had them several times, thinking about them again actually.

LadyKeiva 03-21-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1505842)
Sorry, don't know why I thought red... anyway, the Black Phantom would work, a good sized group no less than 12 (as you said, good;-)). And determining male/female is easy, so get a mix of half male/female, or I would probably get more males, say 7/5 or 8/6-7, etc. Neat fish, I've had them several times, thinking about them again actually.


=D Thanks! Glad we picked a good combo. We both ended up Really liking the list.

And the Black Phantoms really are pretty neat.. Not sure why I never noticed them before now. If I wasn't so happy with my tank's stock I'd be tempted to get them.

One other question. Does that stocking put us at about max? or is the room for more? He was pushing for a small school of Diamond Tetras, but what we picked seemed kind of heavy to me.

Byron 03-22-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyKeiva (Post 1505986)
=D Thanks! Glad we picked a good combo. We both ended up Really liking the list.

And the Black Phantoms really are pretty neat.. Not sure why I never noticed them before now. If I wasn't so happy with my tank's stock I'd be tempted to get them.

One other question. Does that stocking put us at about max? or is the room for more? He was pushing for a small school of Diamond Tetras, but what we picked seemed kind of heavy to me.

There could be another shoaling fish. I personally would probably not have Diamond Tetra, but a better choice would be the species I suggested initially. A bit quieter. I have Diamonds in my 115g, but can't see them in with my pencils.

Going back over the list, one question comes up, and that is the Kuhlii with the whiptails; something I've never tried, but then I am not fond of kuhlii loach. I would suggest corys as a better option.

LadyKeiva 03-22-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 1509977)
There could be another shoaling fish. I personally would probably not have Diamond Tetra, but a better choice would be the species I suggested initially. A bit quieter. I have Diamonds in my 115g, but can't see them in with my pencils.

Going back over the list, one question comes up, and that is the Kuhlii with the whiptails; something I've never tried, but then I am not fond of kuhlii loach. I would suggest corys as a better option.

Ahh I see. We'll have to look around for another suitable shoaling fish to add in. Thanks for the tip =).

The Kuhli loach was something my boyfriend really liked, so that one would have to stay. We could always try out with a whiptail or two, keep a close eye and see how it goes. Worst case I can put the whiptails in my tank.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2