Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Septocemia in angels (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/septocemia-angels-133561/)

Captain Jim Dandy 03-20-2013 11:24 AM

Septocemia in angels

I have a ten month old little gold angel that I believe is fighting septocemia. She was listless for a couple days, hiding near bottom..I thought she was being bullied and prepared tank to separate. When I went to get her, she was covered in mucous, and heavily over her eyes, and showed pinkish red along fin/body intersection. I put her in a five gallon QT tank andshe has improved with Kanaplez and one dose General cure. Eyes still cloudy, she is weak from hunger but tries to eat..The other two fish she was with seem fine. About to change her water- no medicine last day and a half. Don't know what to do next. Umm.. she was in Kanaplex a week.

Olympia 03-26-2013 04:50 PM

Sorry for the late reply, but since she has done a full dose of a VERY powerful drug, it's best to let her body rest up for now. I would do a lot of water changes, and maybe add some Stress coat or Vitachem to give her an extra boost if you wish.

Captain Jim Dandy 03-26-2013 05:31 PM

It is so great you answered today, Olympia.. I thought I was banned socialy or something.She has made it this far..eyes cleared up pretty well, body coat and color is pretty good. Well, not good enough, though. I just put light on and it's not quite as good as I had thought- I read no stress was important with the toxemia situation. She seems "trembly"(not strong). I don't see her eat much..tried flake, bloodworm, I need to get some more frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp in morning. But she has made it this far.I've been doing about fifty percent nearly every day on water changes. I read fenbendazole might be good for her if I can get her a little stronger?

Sakura8 03-26-2013 05:41 PM

Fenbendazole is an efficient anti-parasite drug for some nematodes like camallanus worms. I'm not sure if it would help in this case of septicemia.

Kanaplex is an excellent med choice because it absorbs well into the skin but if it isn't improving, then you may want to try this:

Give her a few days to a week to recover from her meds and then try Mardel Maracyn Two (aka minocycline). This is med is known for being anti-inflammatory so it may be a bit more effective. However, make sure that the package you get is not past its expiration date.

If you have very high pH, over 7.2 then the efficiency of Maracyn Two diminished greatly. If that is the case, stick with Kanaplex as it works well in high pH.

You may also want to try 1 tsp of epsom salts per gallon as well to help with the inflammation.

Captain Jim Dandy 03-27-2013 03:22 AM

Thank you so much for your help, Olympia and Sakura.. Just got home from work and she ate a couple flakes right away. She comes to top and sucks the top until a piece goes in-she's really trying. Both of you want me to hold off a little on meds,..I've been just changing water three and a half days now. If the reddish doesn't get any worse, or clouded eyes, I will keep going natural. My ph is about 7.5, so if I go to meds, I'll go Kanaplex,-thank you Sakura. I like to keep my angels at 81 , but she is at 78 degrees as I worry about bacteria in "hot" water. I want to go a little cooler, but the weather is changing so often, I may stay where I am. Hoping by weekend she'll gain some strength. Then I can hopefully put meds away. Peace..Jim

Captain Jim Dandy 04-06-2013 06:58 PM

Hate to talk to myself here.. Still just doing water changes, some improvement(maybe more than I realize)and redness is fading to very slight- I like idea of epsom salts at this point. She is a little stronger and responsive. Still eating funny, used to slash top of water, but still eating.Just flakes right now, but I'm going to spend some time with her and offer brineshrimp and bloodworms. I think I want to look into live blackworms for instance like this.Happy she is still trying- Water cool at 75, I think I'll try to raise it some.Eyes still cloudy, but less.. Should I consider more Kanamycin or be patient with water changes? Thanks..Jim