Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Those Silly Multis (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/those-silly-multis-13341/)

tophat665 03-29-2008 09:20 AM

Those Silly Multis

I've got 6 Lamprologus multifascitis in a 20 gallon high, with a rockpile in one corner, a grove of Vallisnera americana across the back 2/3, and a dozen murex shells for housing and a dozen small Mystery Snails growing out to bring to the LFS for credit. These are my first ever Afican cichlids, and my first cichlids of any kind in 20 years (I had an angelfish in a 10 gallon when I was a kid. Poor fishy.)

In any case, this tank is just off to my left when I am on the computer, so I tend to watch when something unusual happens in my peripheral vision.

You know how pond snails sometimes and for no apparent reason come loose and float straight up through the water column? Well, one did smack dab in the middle of the tank, right at the edge of the Vals, and the one multi whose territory is in the one shell in the Val grove followed it straight up. As he got about a third of the way, all the rest of the multis started vectoring in on him from the territories across the front of the tank. Then te snail hit the surface and the original stopped an inch short and gave it up for a lost cause, and everyone went back to their shells.

I know, it sounds pretty banal put that way. but it had a real cirque de soliel look to it as it happened.

Silly multis.

Thanks for your time.

Amphitrite 03-29-2008 05:45 PM

LOL - the things that happen when you don't have a video camera handy!

salsafish 04-05-2008 01:38 AM

Mine are silly too

I have a tank of multis and they keep me entertained. :P Right now the tank is full of babies of all sizes and I get so confused as to who is who because they haven't chosen a shell yet and move around alot.
I have one who comes over to the glass to eyeball me when it's feeding time. I love these little guys!

Now, if they would just stop breeding for a minute...... :P

tophat665 04-06-2008 10:26 AM

Re: Mine are silly too

Quote:

Originally Posted by salsafish
Now, if they would just stop breeding for a minute...... :P

That's why I keep bushfish. :evil:

My guys are just starting to top an inch long. I suspect that they will start breeding pretty soon, and I'll be keeping watch on the shells for little eyeballs.

Here're some pix:
http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/277...k_040608_1.jpg
http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/277...s_040608_1.jpg
(Pardon my rudimentary photographic skillz and unclean glass.)

Fishfreak55 04-06-2008 12:14 PM

ok im ok with fish but unless its a tetra or goldfish or betta im sorta out of my league. lol and some of that conversation confused me, but :yourock:

southafrica1001 04-06-2008 12:24 PM

great fish, i love watching mine also the silly wierd things they do :D. what plants do you have in there? i might have the same ones and i just wanted to know the name thanks.

tophat665 04-06-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southafrica1001
great fish, i love watching mine also the silly wierd things they do :D. what plants do you have in there? i might have the same ones and i just wanted to know the name thanks.

The tall, skinny plants are Vallisnera Americana. Over on the rockpile there's some Java Moss, some Java Fern, and an Anubias barteri v. Nana. There's also an Anubias barteri v. Nana v. Petit floating around in there somewhere. Finally, there's a clump of Riccia fluitans floating in the top right that I just stuck in there until I take it to an aquarium society auction tomorrow.

tophat665 04-06-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishfreak55
ok im ok with fish but unless its a tetra or goldfish or betta im sorta out of my league. lol and some of that conversation confused me, but :yourock:

Tanganyika dwarf cichlids are, IMHO, much easier to keep than goldfish. About on par with guppies, really. Once the tank is set up properly, all you need is some crushed coral in the filter and twice monthly water changes, and they will thrive and probably breed. They can even be set up in a hard water community tank if you plan it properly.

That said, you have the same problem with them as with livebearers - what to do with the fry. At some point your tank will get overcrowded. Then you can give them away, sell them at auction, return them to a fish store (hopefully for credit), euthanize them humanely, or feed them to predatory fish. Since I have a trio of bushfish (a predatory african fish related to gourmis) in another tank, my choice is easy. In fact, part of the reason I went with a tank full of multis was to have a more or less constant supply of disease free feeder fish.(I keep swortails in another tank for the very same reason).

southafrica1001 04-08-2008 08:07 AM

thanks i think they are the Vallisnera Americana that i have, do you find they sprout like crazy?

tophat665 04-08-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southafrica1001
thanks i think they are the Vallisnera Americana that i have, do you find they sprout like crazy?

That's an old 18 watt bulb over a 20 gallon tank, and they are growing and sending out runners here and there. Not like crazy, but under not even a whole watt per gallon, any growth at all is amazing.