Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Angelfish in groups and paired with Rosy tetras and Cory's? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/angelfish-groups-paired-rosy-tetras-corys-133386/)

Emerald Terror 03-19-2013 10:32 PM

Angelfish in groups and paired with Rosy tetras and Cory's?

I've been looking to start a 75 gallon planted for a while now and I'm getting the chance next month for my birthday. I have already mapped out the plants, lighting, and substrate. I'm now looking at what fish I want in the tank and I plan to get angelfish, Cory catfish, and rosy tetras. However it seems people's opinions on angelfish vary immensely.

My questions are how many angels should you have when you start a tank?(I know 5 is what is recommended but everyone tells me ill end up with a pair and they'll kill the other angels)

Another question is how do you guys feel about rosy tetras and Cory's with angelfish?

djembekah 03-19-2013 11:00 PM

Five to eight in 75 gallons would be good. they do need a shoal. i think that a smaller group would be more likely to kill each other. you can't force a pair after all. get them as babies, they'll grow up and a pecking order will form. if yiu threw two angels together that haven't formed a pair, they'd probably try to kill each other.

As for tetras, i do believe rosies fit the recommended shape for tetras to put with angels. cories do just fine with angels. they actually live in the same places as angels in the wild. mine definitely don't bug my angels.
Posted via Mobile Device

Emerald Terror 03-19-2013 11:37 PM

So they're pretty much a perfect pairing .

djembekah 03-20-2013 02:34 AM

Well, nothing is ever certain but i would say its a good combination. include lots of plants and driftwood and leaf litter. Hiding spots are good.
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 03-20-2013 08:26 AM

Angefish prefer slightly warmer temp's 80 to 82 Degree's F than the cory's appreciate, but Sterbai Corydoras seem to do well at temp's up to 82 degree's.(I have kept them with Discus at warmer temp's)
Most all other cory's would be much more comfortable,live longer,at cooler 72 to 76 degree's F.
Not sure of comfort zone for the rosy tetra's,but would aim for middle to lower temp range for these fish as well as opposed to upper range suggested/listed. IME

Emerald Terror 03-20-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 1491081)
Angefish prefer slightly warmer temp's 80 to 82 Degree's F than the cory's appreciate, but Sterbai Corydoras seem to do well at temp's up to 82 degree's.(I have kept them with Discus at warmer temp's)
Most all other cory's would be much more comfortable,live longer,at cooler 72 to 76 degree's F.
Not sure of comfort zone for the rosy tetra's,but would aim for middle to lower temp range for these fish as well as opposed to upper range suggested/listed. IME

Sterbai Corydora are the main type of cory I'm looking at and rosy tetras can live in 75-82 degreees which would be perfect for an angel tank at around 79 degrees.

1077 03-20-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerald Terror (Post 1491281)
Sterbai Corydora are the main type of cory I'm looking at and rosy tetras can live in 75-82 degreees which would be perfect for an angel tank at around 79 degrees.

Good for you.;-)

Emerald Terror 03-20-2013 06:03 PM

If I have both males and females will there always be a pair?