Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   ammonia (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ammonia-13337/)

studioskim3 03-29-2008 02:39 AM

ammonia

hello:

I recently set up a new tank, a 14 gal, and I started cycling w/ my betta in it just 2 days ago. I used aquasafe for the conditioner, and this green liquid that I got "bettazing" from an online store... forgot where exactly, but its from a reliable store and the lady knows her stuff and I've used it for 10 months now so I know its good. I changed 20% of the water today the 3rd day since I started cycling, and ammonia level is rising. I know that its supposed to, but what kind i do specifically to maintain a safe level for my betta, who my family and i love and adore, and for him to be as least stressed as possible.

He just recently moved from a 2 gal tank, which my mom broke while changing his water, and so, thankfully, we put him in a 14 gal that I bought months ago.

Here are my questions and concerns, any help will be GREATLY appreciated:

From my research on this forum, I heard that with a fish, the cycling water should be replaced 20% everyday, is this true?

The ammonia level rises, and then the nitrate, then nitrite. I bought a tester kit online for sale ( API master kit) and am waiting for it, in the meantime, I bought a tester strip thing that you place in the tank and right now its between safe (0 ppm) and caution (0.02ppm), what must I do to keep it safe for my betta fish?

Also, from here on out, I know that I should be careful of the water parameters, so I do not give him alot of food, and replace his water 20% (?) then once the cycling period is over... how would i know if it is over?

Also, I would like him to have a friend who is just as hardy as he is... who can befriend him with, someone just as hardy and easy to take care of who will be okay for him to be in the same tank with?

Thanks for your help and reading this post!
:)

I'm new to all this and although this forum has helped me much, I just want to make sure everything is safe for my betta :)

jeaninel 03-29-2008 03:02 AM

Quote:

Also, from here on out, I know that I should be careful of the water parameters, so I do not give him alot of food, and replace his water 20%
Sounds like you have done your research and are on the right track.
Quote:

The ammonia level rises, and then the nitrate, then nitrite.
Actually it's ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate
It's good you have an API liquid test kit on the way as these are more accurate than the test strips. Test your water often for ammonia and nitrites and do frequent water changes to keep the levels bearable for your fish.
Quote:

then once the cycling period is over... how would i know if it is over?
When you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrates and these levels are stable for a week or so then your tank is cycled.