Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   2 Corydoras and 4 Swordtail Deaths. No idea why? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/2-corydoras-4-swordtail-deaths-no-13331/)

JustinTrask 03-28-2008 11:58 PM

2 Corydoras and 4 Swordtail Deaths. No idea why?

:oops:

Hey there!
I've had a 29 gallon setup for about 3 months now. I know I was probably quick to add fish to it, but I filled about 20 of the 29 gallons with cycled water from my dads 75 gallon, and the other 9 gallons from my brothers cycled 20 gallon. I set the filter up and let it run for a week, along with some amazon swords and java fern. The first fish that I introduced was a male/female swordtail couple. They were very happy, so I went and got some more fish about a week later. I got 2 dwarf gouramis, 2 gold gouramis, and 2 2" albino corydoras. No problems for a few months, every now and then adding another fish or two.

That brings me to where I am now.

I currently (as of 3 days ago) have 6 of these 1.5-2.5" albino corydoras that I am moving over to a 40 breeder soon to try to breed. I have 3 female and 1 male swordtail, 2 gold gouramis, 2 dwarf gouramis, 1 .25" albino pleco, 1 3 inch albino pleco, 1 8" pleco, and a 4" long silver arowana that is only in this tank until i get my 125 gallon to cycle. I have several small plants, nothing too big, and a large piece of driftwood thats basically a sunken piece of firewood we found in a brook next to my house. I keep the temperature at about 79, to satisfy the silver arowana along with the others. Not too hot, not too cold. I have a Whisper 30 Power Filter on there, which my dad said was too small for the bio-load that I had in my tank, so I put a second one in. I also use my Magnum 330 on it twice a week for 2 hours. I do 25% water changed weekly as well. There is also a small Aqua Fizz Airstone in the back corner.

Out of nowhere, I lost 2 females and a male swordtail in the same day. One of the females died directly after giving birth, and the other two followed within the next few hours. The last swordtail has what looks like stretchmarks on it, and it has stopped eating and rarely swims now. I transferred that over to my 10 gallon with some cherry shrims and 5 zebra danios just to see if I could singly treat it. 2 days later, I lost 2 of my 6 albino corys,

Just checked my water for levels now, and my Nitrate is at about 50, which is bad I know, but probably due to the adding of 2 bleeding heart tetra and 4 pearl danios out of my brothers tank that has a bad leak. So I need to get that lowered somehow. My nitrite is at 0, Hardness is about 120. Alkalinity is at 120, PH is at 7.6. Ammonia Detector shows safe levels.

Any idea why the sudden deaths? The new fish didnt get added until after all of the dying had taken place. Right now all of the fish in the tank seem happy. Any idea what may have caused this and if I should be worried about losing more?

If you want some pictures of the tank and the fish within, I'll be glad to take some and send them over.

Thank you!
Justin Trask

Holly 03-29-2008 12:12 AM

Give me some more info. First if you can get pics of the tank and also the sword you have left showing the marks. Your "Ammonia Detector ". What exactly do you have and how long has it been in use? If it is what I think it is, they only last for 3 months max and then you have to get a new one. What did you test the water with? Liquid or quick strips? That's going to be a huge differance. What are you treating the water with for water changes? Is there anything else that's being put in the tank?

herefishy 03-29-2008 12:14 AM

STDS. Sudden Tank Death Syndrome. No answers for that.

JustinTrask 03-29-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly
First if you can get pics of the tank and also the sword you have left showing the marks. Your "Ammonia Detector ". What exactly do you have and how long has it been in use? If it is what I think it is, they only last for 3 months max and then you have to get a new one. What did you test the water with? Liquid or quick strips? That's going to be a huge differance. What are you treating the water with for water changes? Is there anything else that's being put in the tank?

The last sword died a few hours ago, sorry no pics of that. This post I copied from an unsuccessful try on another forum. The ammonia detector is the one you're thinking of, but it was just installed a month ago. I test the water with Mardel freshwater strips, but also on occasion take my water into my local fish store to check it professionally since I'm new to this. They are quick strips. When I do water changes, I am just using a squirt of FinCare Aquarium Conditioner. I know that at some stores I've been to they put baking soda and other stuff in when they do water changes, but I am worried about negatively affecting the Arowana, since that was the main reason for my setting up a tank in the first place. The only other thing being put in the tank is Ferroplant once every other week.

It shouldnt affect what's going on because I make sure not to overfeed, but I feed flake to my fish, blackworms to my cories, and every other day give a guppy to my arowana, but he als eats the flake provided to the other fish.

JustinTrask 03-30-2008 12:56 AM

Update

1 more albino cory died today, I found one of my apple snails sucking on it when I got home.

Thats 4 swordtails and 3 corydoras dead within a week or so of each other.

Holly 04-03-2008 10:02 PM

How have things been in the past few days? I fear herefishy is correct. Have you gotten your water tested at the lfs?

JustinTrask 04-03-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly
How have things been in the past few days? I fear herefishy is correct. Have you gotten your water tested at the lfs?

I havnt gotten the water tested, but all 6 of my corys died, and its been a few days now and nothing else has been affected as far as I can tell. So much for breeding albino corys :(

Things are going very well right now tho. Any my silver aro is awesome :D