Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Aquarium Equipment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/)
-   -   Heaters not working right.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-aquarium-equipment/heaters-not-working-right-13330/)

Blackwater 03-28-2008 10:51 PM

Heaters not working right..

Hey Guys/Gals
I got a heater from Walmart :? Im not sure of the brand but some of you might know it. I chucked the packaging "mistake" so I wasnt able to return it and try another just to check if I got a odd ball one thats not working right. Or its junk and I should go buy a better one.
The temp keeps spiking and Im worried Im going to come home to a fish dinner one day.
Do these heaters work with a thermostat keeping the temp stable? Or is it something where I have to keep adjusting till I find the right setting for the tank to hold a true temp?

Till I pick up another one should I turn it off and remove it?

Blackwater 03-28-2008 10:54 PM

hello question answered on the thermostat. Nice! I posted and checked the highlighted " heater " lol Im digging this site!!!!!!!!

What do I look for on the heater if theres a thermostat on it or not? It has a light that will light from time to time or when adjusted, is that it?

Does placement have anything to do with it? If so where should I have it?

Anytricks of the trade one checking a thermometer?

Its reading 80* but the water feel cooler then that.........

Flashygrrl 03-29-2008 06:30 AM

I've got a Hydor Theo that while the dial isn't entirely accurate on the temp readings (I've got it set to like, 75 and the temp stays at 78), it works very well, and it has an indicator light that comes on while it's heating the water. I've got mine placed away from where the filter flows out, seems to keep things fine, as for the thermometer just put in in a spot where it's easiest to see, I wouldn't have it right next to the heater or right at the top though.

kritas 03-31-2008 08:52 AM

Quote:

Its reading 80* but the water feel cooler then that.........
Do not rely on touch to tell you if it feels cool, as the human body's temperature is precisely 37 degrees celcius ( degrees farenheit) and therefore, all aquarium water temperatures will "feel cool''.
If you are basing your observations on the fact that it "seems cooler than usual", please ignore this post...

herefishy 03-31-2008 12:46 PM

As in all things, you get what you pay for. A quality heater doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg, but it will set you back more than the "economy" types.

A good quality thermometer is also a must. I use quality "mercury" thermometers. They no longer contain mercury these days. I do not like the stick on type. A few tanks are using higher tech thermometers that have a probe and digital readouts.

It is all up to the tastes of the aquarist in the long run though. Just don't skimp when buying equipment, especially heaters and thermometers.

okiemavis 03-31-2008 05:49 PM

I agree- there are cheap heaters where you can only set it from high to low and there are more expensive ones where you can actually specify the degree. They aren't that much more, and are very worth it. I use a "mercury" thermometer in my tanks, and I use a digital probe thermometer when I want a more accurate reading (like when I'm adding fresh water and want to match it).

Blackwater 03-31-2008 06:37 PM

Hey thanks all!
I tapped the dial down a hair and have kept a close eye on the temp and she’s holding 73*-74*. I have a quality mercury thermometer just figured that was a little more important then the heater and that the heater just wouldn’t last as long as a nicer one. I checked the thermometer and its right on the money. My dog was walking a little funny for a few hours but he’s walking just fine now, he ran off to fast when it was time to test the heater!
:roll:

Oh and I have spent most of my time on the water, I can get with in 5* water temp with just feel. That has nothing to do with my dog! :wink: