Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Neon Tetra Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/neon-tetra-breeding-13287/)

Lunarpowers 03-27-2008 12:13 AM

Neon Tetra Breeding

I have a Neon Tetra that has a belly that is bloated. It has been sleeping and resting in the shadows of the coral ( fake) and plants a lot and hasn't been eating much.

It has been this way for 3 days. I am very worried about the little tetra. However when I called a pet shop they replied as either the Neon Tetra ( NT) is either Sick or Pregnant.

It has a bloated stomach which is maybe half a centameter down from its eye. There is another tetra I think is male. Another male died of natural causes :( .

Please reply on what i should do about this Neon Tetra.

I will be on in about 10 hours from now. Please Respond. 8)

herefishy 03-27-2008 12:35 AM

Is the fish losing color? If so, it's neon tetra disease. No cure known. If its color is still good, try feeding a medicated food. It may also be constipated, in which case feed veggie flakes.

fish_4_all 03-27-2008 11:16 AM

I also had 2 neons that would get a really large deformed belly but they did ok as long as I didn't give too much live or frozen food.

Lunarpowers 03-27-2008 10:34 PM

The Tetra is not losing color.. Infact it's neon line is glowing like when its happy!

It keeps hiding in the shadows of our fake plants and were kind of afraid. Im going to send a picture ASAP.

Is it Pregnant? Is there a chance we could have 100 fry running in my tank? I have a Baby Bi-Orb. I am not sure if there is room for 100 fry or so.

Lunarpowers 03-27-2008 10:48 PM

[b]Actually we have not had another fish in a while. This is different than my first post because i didnt wanna feel bad :oops:

So the only fish we have is the single Tetra. All others died of natural causes ( i hope). We are looking forward to giving this tetra a mate and a team because every day it just wanders bored. :shock:

So if it is Pregnant ( low chance)... HOW? The last male fish died at the end of January. :cry:

However we cannot get another fish. Our Bi-Orb does not have a Heater and most, most fish are used to warm water.

When we asked our nearby pet shop they replied that a change of Warm to Cold may kill the fish.

We need a heater. :!: :!: :!: :!:

Any suggestions?

fish_4_all 03-28-2008 12:25 PM

There is a very good possibility it could be carrying eggs but very little chance she will lay them. It takes a lot os very specific conditions to get them to lay eggs and have them hatch. I don't remember them all but I do remember it gave me a headache trying to understand it all.