Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Algae Eaters (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/algae-eaters-13273/)

FilteredFun 03-26-2008 11:28 AM

Algae Eaters

Hello Everyone,

I would love to create a top 5 list of best algae eaters so I can plan ahead as my wife and I create a community tank of friendly companions with a small work force.

We are leaning toward a 72 gallon bow front tank for this community. The tank will be planed with live plants, have a sand and/or gravel substrate, some wood, and some rocks.

Could you please list your top 5 algae eaters [1 = best] with one parameter. The fish cannot grow larger than 5" in length.

Thanks So Much!!!
Matt

fish_4_all 03-26-2008 11:56 AM

1 Nerite snails
2 Otocinclus
3 Rosey Barb
4 Mystery snail
5 Amano shrimp or other algae eating shrimp.

Nerite are supposed eat any algae. Otos will eat diatoms and soft algae. Barbs will eat some harder algaes and some soft algae. Snails will eat it all if they are hungry enough but are slow doing so. Shrimp are supposed to eat most algaes short of the toughest ones like BBA but I have heard they will keep it under control.

Holly 03-26-2008 12:38 PM

Rosey Barbs?? Really?

jeaninel 03-26-2008 02:48 PM

I think Otos would be great in a planted tank (once it's matured). In a 72 gallon you could get a good sized group of them, maybe 6-8. They only grow to about 2".

Bristlenose Pleco maybe also. Though I've not kept them before. They get to about 5-6" I believe.

bf2king 03-26-2008 02:53 PM

pleco's tend to enjoy soft plants as food. or so ive herd.

FilteredFun 03-26-2008 08:34 PM

Algae Eaters

Great start ... Thank You!

I am unfamiliar with many of the suggested species.

[Q] Is there an on-line site that would provide me with an image of each fish named in the search bos plus additional information?

[Q] Do shrimp and others listed actually eat algae off the plants w/o actually eating the plant itself in the effort?

I believe I have seen many images of the Bristlenose Pleco in planted tanks. That was one of the reasons we had it on our must get list. It was great at glass cleaning and bottom cleaning plus it was plant friendly.

Can anyone confirm the Pleco's plant interest or disinterest?

Thanks So Much!
Matt

FilteredFun 03-26-2008 08:51 PM

Algae Eaters

Re: Siamese algae eater

Has anyone had experience with this algae eater?

I read it can get huge. Is this true? I ask because I have seen images of schools in smaller freshwater tanks which led me to believe they stayed small.

Thanks!
Matt

P.S. I am quite interested in the Amano shrimp - especially if it eats algae off the plants.

[Q] Who would eat the Amano shrimp?

We're also planning to create an Angel Fish tank which will be planed and will definitely need algae cleaners. I hoped a Pleco, some Corys, mybe some Amano shrimp would do the job and co-habitat with the Angel.

Any thoughts - please share...

My Sincere Thanks!!!
Matt

Lupin 03-26-2008 09:14 PM

Re: Algae Eaters

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilteredFun
Re: Siamese algae eater

Has anyone had experience with this algae eater?

I read it can get huge. Is this true? I ask because I have seen images of schools in smaller freshwater tanks which led me to believe they stayed small.

They can grow to 5-6 inches and are slow growers rather.
Quote:

[Q] Who would eat the Amano shrimp?
Angelfish will eat all small shrimps.

Lupin 03-26-2008 09:16 PM

Re: Algae Eaters

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilteredFun
[Q] Is there an on-line site that would provide me with an image of each fish named in the search bos plus additional information?

You may have to try the Yahoo search for each species.
Quote:

[Q] Do shrimp and others listed actually eat algae off the plants w/o actually eating the plant itself in the effort?
Some eat hair algae, some are simply filter feeders. The ones mentioned earlier can eat hair algae.

SAE's eat black brush algae but not to an extent that BBA will disappear completely.

Quote:

I believe I have seen many images of the Bristlenose Pleco in planted tanks. That was one of the reasons we had it on our must get list. It was great at glass cleaning and bottom cleaning plus it was plant friendly.

Can anyone confirm the Pleco's plant interest or disinterest?
If you are not feeding your BN's with veggies, they will resort to plants for food.

Lupin 03-26-2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bf2king
pleco's tend to enjoy soft plants as food. or so ive herd.

They will resort to plants if not fed with veggies.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly
Rosey Barbs?? Really?

They eat hair algae.