Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   just picked up a few new plants (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/just-picked-up-few-new-plants-132537/)

MoneyMitch 03-18-2013 08:31 PM

just picked up a few new plants

Limnophila indica "ambula" family, oh boy idk how this is going to fair in my tank, 2wpg HO with no co2 hope the root tabs and the liquid ferts are enough.

Glechoma hederacea " Lamiaceae " famiy AKA mint common name creeping charlie, so i know this one might be risky due to some of the toxins in it wanted to see what you guys thought?

Hygrophila corymbosa 'acanthus' family AKA temple plant, seems to be a cool specimen plant its a "compact species" or so the guy said so it should stay pretty small, again should be ok with my lights and ferts.

then the last pickup was Bacopa monnieri "cropulariacase" family AKA moneywart seems hardy enough to grow in pretty much anything and seems to be a perfect match for my setup.

anything i should know about these or anyone have any advice on keeping?

funkman262 03-18-2013 08:37 PM

Just keep in mind that with that much light, ferts, and no CO2, algae can become a real nuisance. The key to keeping a successful planted tank (or any aquarium for that matter) is balance, and just from a quick glance I'd be worried that your tank is unbalanced. Keep an eye on the plants and algae growth to guide you. If you start to notice that your plants seem to be showing all sorts of nutrient deficiencies, it'll likely be due to lack of CO2 and the plants don't have a carbon source to assimilate the nutrients, no matter how much ferts you are dosing.

MoneyMitch 03-18-2013 08:47 PM

there is a fishload in there and of course the natrula breakdown of organics, and yes you are correct, the tank will show you if its not happy. a planted aquarium does not need injection to be sucessfull

funkman262 03-18-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1478841)
there is a fishload in there and of course the natrula breakdown of organics, and yes you are correct, the tank will show you if its not happy. a planted aquarium does not need injection to be sucessfull

I said was that you need to keep everything balanced, and it doesn't look like you'll be able to achieve that with your current setup. Most (if not all) people that can manage without CO2 dosing also have lower lights than you do and use minimal if any fertilizer dosing. I have roughly 2WPG in my tank, and even WHILE dosing CO2, my plants were still showing carbon deficiency because my diffusion method wasn't efficient enough. My plants didn't recover until I changed my diffusion method to keep more CO2 within the water column.

MoneyMitch 03-18-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkman262 (Post 1478681)
Just keep in mind that with that much light, ferts, and no CO2, algae can become a real nuisance. .

how you said no co2 i assumed that you assmuned there was no source in the tank. so we both assumed and look what happend :P just curious what your setup is/was and what were the species? not trying to be argumentitive just want to compare setups and species as this can play a rule. not syaing a deficiancy wont occur or doesnt have the chance to jsut a simple compariosn is all.

funkman262 03-18-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 1479417)
yea, i dont know what to even say to those comments so much for friendly discussion i guess

Welcome to the internet ;-) Anyway, I offered some sound advice in post #2, didn't even tell you what you NEED to do as there are still too many unknowns and every tank is different; I gave you tips on what to look out for and some changes that can be made if the tank becomes unbalanced, nothing more. Only you can make the ultimate decision on how to run your tank, but I have a bit of experience with plants over the years that I felt would benefit you.

Sakura8 03-18-2013 10:05 PM

Let's try and keep it civil here.

Good selection of plants. I love my hygrophila corymbosa. It fills in the background very nicely. It was flourishing in my tank (regular ferts and macros, no C02) until I trimmed it back. Haha, now it's mad at me and sulking.

MoneyMitch 03-18-2013 10:10 PM

yea gunan be a while till i have any trimming to do just ploped em in today, gunan see how things go with what i have so far. any insight on the creeping charlie? not sure if it was a good choice for the aquarium or not.

Sakura8 03-18-2013 10:17 PM

I have not used creeping charlie before but from what I've read it is a good midground to foreground plant.

One thing with the corymbosa and the moneywort is that they may undergo a period of shock where their stems seem to rot. Trimming them back sometimes helps with this.

MoneyMitch 03-18-2013 10:22 PM

with trimming during or after the "shock period" you mean just above where the rot occurs or a diffrent location? only reason im concerned with the creeping charlie is that its a herb that carries toxins, cant remember the exact toxins but they were listed on the wiki