Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   My betta Fish isn't eating (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/my-betta-fish-isnt-eating-13244/)

paws 03-25-2008 10:35 AM

My betta Fish isn't eating

My new betta i got for my birthday isn't eating. I have bloodworms (froozen) also i have pelets. He won't eat the pelets of the blood worms? Is it because he is picky? Or is it because he doesn't like it? He has a heater and a filter in a 10 gallon tank.

Meatpuppet 03-25-2008 10:56 AM

yes bettas are very picky
you would probly be best off with trying different foods and brands of pellets until he eats it. good trys would be a pea (shelled, defrosted, and smushed), and frozen brine shrimp.
if he likes both feed him both-cuz its good to mix up their diet. One thing you should leave as a last resort are flakes, usally bettas wont touch them. (ive had one and hes the only one i seen that likes flakes)
good luck :wink:

paws 03-25-2008 10:59 AM

ok i will look in the freezer for peas. I don't think I want him eating shrimp because i am a lover of shrimp.

Meatpuppet 03-25-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paws
. I don't think I want him eating shrimp because i am a lover of shrimp.

well they are already grinded up, smashed to a pulp and ready to be devoured but i still recomend it.

and make sure the pea is in good bite size peices. dont worry if he wont eat the pea the first time bcuz there is still more ways you could prepare the pea

paws 03-25-2008 12:30 PM

he must like peas becuase he ate the smashed up peice the first time it was in his tank he loves it!!

marinebiologist21 03-25-2008 12:47 PM

Do not feed him too many peas.
Peas are mainly used for a constipated betta to poo.
This will make your betta go often.

Meatpuppet 03-25-2008 12:47 PM

great news! :D now i recomend getting some kind of other pellets he likes as the main food then he is set for life as far as food goes. Just use the pea about once a week or so to clean out his insides

marinebiologist21 03-25-2008 12:50 PM

Do not often feed him meaty foods.
These could contain wild parasites and if not eaten could pollute your fish tank.

marinebiologist21 03-25-2008 12:52 PM

Falina suggested on another board:

flakes or pellets is a good staple diet with peas once a week and bloodworm or brineshrimp once a week also.

KingTriton 03-25-2008 01:41 PM

While speaking of feeding, I've heard so many different opinions on how often to feed bettas. Some say 2-3 times a week, while others say a little everyday. I know of some people who just fast their betta for 1 day. What is the proper way? My betta is always hungry and eats anything I put in her tank and she's always searching for more at the bottom.