Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10g tank with bala shark and dwarf gourami (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10g-tank-bala-shark-dwarf-gourami-13211/)

closeyetfar 03-24-2008 10:48 AM

10g tank with bala shark and dwarf gourami

I was just wondering how many of each i should put in there if its possible. I have read that they are compatible.

bf2king 03-24-2008 11:13 AM

bala shark has the ability to get 14 inches from nose to tail thats longer then a 10 gallon tank they also enjoy alot of swimming room. to keep a school (6+) u would need a 6 ft tank as a minimal. keeping the bala shrks in a 10 gallon will stunt their growth and shorten their life span considerably.

closeyetfar 03-24-2008 11:20 AM

thanks for replying...any ideas of what would fit nice in a 10g tank?[/code]

herefishy 03-24-2008 12:15 PM

I see a case of MTS complicated by BTS a-brewin'. No known cure.

MTS=multi tank syndrome
BTS=big(ger) tank syndrome

willow 03-24-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by closeyetfar
thanks for replying...any ideas of what would fit nice in a 10g tank?[/code]

welcome aboard.
you could have a Betta fish,mystery snails,cherry shrimp.
most other fish require larger swimming room.
:)

herefishy 03-24-2008 12:22 PM

Plants and harlequin rasboras would be gorgeous.

fish_4_all 03-24-2008 12:23 PM

Small danios, rasboras, small cories, Small loaches, small tetras, cherry and crystal shrimp, Pencil fish. There are more but I can't think of them right now.

crazy4fish 03-24-2008 02:24 PM

you could get......

betta, cherry barbs, danios, WHITE CLOUD MOUNTAIN MINNOWS(they are so cute), harlequin rasboras, spotted rasboras, black widows, silvertipped tetras, rummynose tetras, neons, black neons, cardinals, hatchetfish, pencil fish, penguin fish, some types of killifish, some gouramis(the smaller ones), catfish, CORIES, loaches(small ones), threadfin rainbowfish, celebes rainbowfish, fancy guppies, platies, mollies, swordtails, and maybe some x-ray cats, not sure about them though.

hope this helped!

bf2king 03-24-2008 02:39 PM

interesting 10 gallon tank to me:

Heavily planted
3 DP's (Dwarf Puffer's)
4 Oto's

DP's may not be the best option though do to needing snails in their diet.

Falina 03-24-2008 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4fish
you could get......

betta, cherry barbs, danios, WHITE CLOUD MOUNTAIN MINNOWS(they are so cute), harlequin rasboras, spotted rasboras, black widows, silvertipped tetras, rummynose tetras, neons, black neons, cardinals, hatchetfish, pencil fish, penguin fish, some types of killifish, some gouramis(the smaller ones), catfish, CORIES, loaches(small ones), threadfin rainbowfish, celebes rainbowfish, fancy guppies, platies, mollies, swordtails, and maybe some x-ray cats, not sure about them though.

hope this helped!

No swordtails or mollies. Remember it's only a 10g tank.

If the tank were mine I'd probably do what bob suggested and go for lots of plants and a school of harlequins. Either that or some pygmy cories.