Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   dying fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/dying-fish-13210/)

aerynkelly 03-24-2008 10:46 AM

dying fish

I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank that I am starting - this tank used to be established, but after a long weekend and a power hit to the building (the tank is at work) we ended up losing all the fish. We completely cleaned the tank out, so now it's brand new again. I'm definitely familiar with cycling...had no problems establishing the tank last time. This time however, any fish I put into the tank isn't surviving 24 hours. I've tested the water and can find nothing wrong with it. When the first fish died I thought maybe it was sick from the pet store (it wouldn't eat, wasn't swimming much) but after the 2nd died, I started to suspect the tank. Any thoughts/suggestions?

crazy4fish 03-24-2008 11:43 AM

how did you clean it and what did you use to clean it? and what kind of fish did you get?

aerynkelly 03-24-2008 12:07 PM

we emptied the tank completely, rinsed the rocks and the tank several times. The plants (fake) that were in the tank were rinsed in a bleach water solution (very little bleach, mostly water) to clean them, then rinsed in water, soaked in water, rinsed in water again, and soaked in water again. We've done this before to clean the plants (when the tank was still established) and didn't have any problems. We have tried guppies and platies - both of which I've had success with before.

Flashygrrl 03-24-2008 06:03 PM

Well...unfortunately they could all be sick from the store. You used water conditioner before putting them in? Acclimated them correctly?

aerynkelly 03-27-2008 09:41 AM

Yes I used water conditioner, and the fish were in the tank (in the bag) for half an hour before I let them loose.

Flashygrrl 03-27-2008 05:20 PM

I'd guess something from the store then. Bummer...can you return them?

One other thing, usually when I acclimate, I usually float them for half an hour, the open up the bag, fasten the top to something and pour in about a half cup of water every 10 minutes until the bag gets too full, then net them out of there into the tank. Might sound like overkill but it's worth the extra effort.

aerynkelly 03-27-2008 05:44 PM

I'll give that a try...anything to help these fish survive! I've avoided buying more fish until I was sure there wasn't a problem with the tank

mattyphilly 03-29-2008 03:13 PM

anything peculiar abt the behaviour of the fish....swimming near the surface, swimming a bit slanted to one side....swollen chest, clamped fins?

crazy4fish 03-30-2008 10:00 AM

i would try buying from a different fish store. :? if those die too then there is something wrong with your tank.

aerynkelly 03-31-2008 08:43 AM

I did buy from 2 different stores. Anyway I bought a few more fish on Friday and they survived the weekend! They seem to be doing just fine, so I guess it was the fish. :)