Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Great Gravel (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/great-gravel-132054/)

kaedeb 03-17-2013 07:33 PM

Great Gravel

Is there any great gravel i can use for live plants? A great gravel that fish will enjoy?

fish keeper 2013 03-17-2013 07:39 PM

What type of fish? Some fish like cory catfish need fine gravel or sand to burrow in. But some fish will mistake the sand for food and eat it, which will give them indigestion. Also what type of plants? Some plants get nutrients from the water through their leaves. But some get their nutrients from their roots and need good quality sand. It all depends:-)

ZivaD 03-17-2013 07:49 PM

Is this for the tank you are keeping Kuhlis in? If so, I would use a sand substrate (I would anyway, but especially for keeping them).

funkman262 03-17-2013 07:53 PM

I've got ecocomplete mixed with blasting sand and my fish love it. Usually they'll just be tossing the gravel around to each other playing catch but every now and then I see them building some crazy castles with the sand.

JDM 03-18-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish keeper 2013 (Post 1472550)
...some fish will mistake the sand for food and eat it, which will give them indigestion. ...

I hadn't heard that yet... what type of fish eat sand that ought not to?

I would say that sand is a great default substrate, cheap, works for most fish and works great for plants.

Jeff.

ZivaD 03-18-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 1473929)
I hadn't heard that yet... what type of fish eat sand that ought not to?

I would say that sand is a great default substrate, cheap, works for most fish and works great for plants.

Jeff.

Interested in hearing about the specific species that have been effected as well...... Yes, some fish will pick sand up in their mouths and filter through it, blowing it out through the gills, etc, but I am not aware of any cases of "sand colic" (sorry, thinking in equine terms at this point) in fish.

jaysee 03-18-2013 11:52 AM

As a professional fisherman, I can assure you that fish can differentiate between food and inedible objects, with regards to swallowing. I open up the stomach of every fish a clean to see what it's been eating, and I've not once found anything other than food.

Fish are smart enough to not eat the substrate. I guarantee that anyone who claims to have had a fish die from ingesting sand is just wildly guessing, and did not perform an autopsy to see if that was in fact the case. Some people feel better having something to blame.

1077 03-18-2013 12:12 PM

Would be more concerned with large grain gravel and fish choking on same.
Have seen cichlid's,goldfish,accidentally ingest gravel and this sometimes get's caught in fishes throat.
Once saw a picture of goldfish with plastic plant protruding from it's anus.
8-)

Byron 03-18-2013 12:18 PM

Kaedeb, welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.:cheers:

To your question, as has been mentioned by others, the needs of the fish intended for the tank should determine the substrate. Plants for the most part will manage in almost any substrate, but sand or fine gravel is the usual. As one who has experimented with so-called "enriched" plant substrates, I wouldn't waste the money.

If you have substrate fish like corys, sand is definitely better. A fine gravel can be useful if you want to set up a Central American stream, or an Indian (South Asian) stream. I rather like the look of sand, and now have this in 6 of my 7 tanks.

Byron.

jaysee 03-18-2013 12:35 PM

"Choking" can only occur if the water flow is cut off to the mouth, as the gills are located in front of the throat. An obstruction in the throat leads to starvation, not suffocation.

The plastic plant must have had food stuck to it ;-)