Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plants In The Shadows (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-shadows-132003/)

rjordan390 03-17-2013 11:40 AM

Plants In The Shadows

My giant hygrophila corymbosa was showing signs of potassium deficiency (pinholes surrounded by yellow rings). Despite my efforts by adding potassium including what is included in kno3, kh2po4 and Seachems Equalibrium , my plants were still showing the deficiency.
I was at a loss as to what could be causing this. So while studying my tank for a few minutes; I realize how blind I can be. My background plants which also included a wisteria, were mostly covered in shadow because they were in a somewhat shape of an inverted triangle. The foliage was so thick that light could not penetrate to get to the mid and bottom sections of the plants. The top portion of the plants was shielding the other 75%. So I trimmed the plants about 50% of it foliage and now the light is getting through. I will then wait another two weeks before I trim those stems that are responsible for making the plants too thick and preventing light from getting to where its needed. Your thoughts?

Byron 03-17-2013 12:03 PM

This agrees with my observations. I do not have sufficient light to begin with for Hygrophila difformis (Wisteria) and Hygrophila corymbosa, and the leaves developed the very symptoms you mention. Others suggested potassium to me, but it made no difference. I just don't attempt to grow higher-light requiring plants like these, and the others I have are fine.

Byron.

rjordan390 03-17-2013 12:53 PM

I have been advised that my lights are mid range high light. So I will see how it goes with a better job of pruning the plants and keep them opened more. If it does not work, I'll look into other background plants.

Byron 03-17-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjordan390 (Post 1471983)
I have been advised that my lights are mid range high light. So I will see how it goes with a better job of pruning the plants and keep them opened more. If it does not work, I'll look into other background plants.

Yes. There are many factors in these situations. I know my light was chief, but I also have very soft water and back then I was not adding Equilibrium (the "hard" minerals) and this may have been a factor in my situation.

Not every plant species will thrive in every aquarium, due to one or more of the factors. And there is alleolopathy to think about too. Over the years I have tried a number of plants, and some thrived while others managed and some didn't even do that well. I just keep with the ones that work in my situation. Most of the plants in my tanks now are either the originals from some 14 years ago, or their "descendants.":-)

Byron.