Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Two fish losses in one week (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/two-fish-losses-one-week-131991/)

CelsB 03-17-2013 03:51 AM

Two fish losses in one week

One was a Neon Tetra and the other a Harlequin Rasbora. Neither showed any signs of illness beforehand or obvious cause on the bodies. The remainder of the fish seem healthy. They are lively and eating okay.

Water parameters fine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate. Temp around 78.

The 125l tank is at capacity but not overstocked and I do small water changes every day as my tap water has 20ppm nitrate.

Could this just be coincidence? I have had the fish that died for over a year.

Romad 03-17-2013 06:49 AM

Is stress a factor? How many of each type of fish are in the tank and what size tank? Have you seen signs of aggression?

CelsB 03-17-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 1471640)
Is stress a factor? How many of each type of fish are in the tank and what size tank? Have you seen signs of aggression?

I had 6 neons and 4 harlequins. My other fish are 6 corydoras, a red lizard whiptail and 2 reticulated hillstream loach (+2 loach fry) so no stress as far as I can see. The tank is 125 litre.

AbbeysDad 03-17-2013 08:11 AM

Your numbers don't add up? It seems to me with source water with 20ppm, unless extremely heavily planted, there's no way you could have tank nitrates of 10ppm. It would seem more likely that your tank nitrates are higher than 20ppm.

What do you use to test for nitrates? If you use API Freshwater, do you shake regent #2 really well....even rap on a table (it has an element that separates from the solution and can result in false low readings).

CelsB 03-17-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbeysDad (Post 1471669)
Your numbers don't add up? It seems to me with source water with 20ppm, unless extremely heavily planted, there's no way you could have tank nitrates of 10ppm. It would seem more likely that your tank nitrates are higher than 20ppm.

What do you use to test for nitrates? If you use API Freshwater, do you shake regent #2 really well....even rap on a table (it has an element that separates from the solution and can result in false low readings).

I use an API freshwater liquid test kit and I have 2 bags of JBL NitratreX in the filter that have considerably reduced the Nitrates.

JBL NitratEX - Aquatis Fresh water - JBL

Actually, I think something similar was recommended by you in a previous thread where I was worried about my nitrate levels.:-)
My tank is also quite heavily planted.

AbbeysDad 03-17-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelsB (Post 1471676)
I use an API freshwater liquid test kit and I have 2 bags of JBL NitratreX in the filter that have considerably reduced the Nitrates.

JBL NitratEX - Aquatis Fresh water - JBL

Actually, I think something similar was recommended by you in a previous thread where I was worried about my nitrate levels.:-)
My tank is also quite heavily planted.

Thanks for the clarification.